Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Nursing cover

catan is offline Registered User

Nursing cover

I'm breastfeeding my daughter and I'm wondering whether or not I should get a nursing cover for when we go outside. I've been practicing trying to be as discreet as possible with a sling, is that enough? I never see any breastfeeding going on in public here in HK... where do all the mothers and babies go to breastfeed?

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User

There are breastfeeding rooms/nappy changing stations some of the big shopping malls like IFC and Elements. I think the choice of a cover is a personal one - it draws attention to the fact you are breastfeeding, but does cover everything up. We tried a few options and my wife eventually chose one that doesn't cover the baby's head/face - it has a kind of rigid hoop at the top to hold the fabric away.

Having said that, more than half the time she breastfeeds without it - using a baby carrier and some nursing tops that allow you to expose your nipple without uncovering the whole breast. The baby's face covers it all up... yesterday she started breastfeeding on the bench in the MTR station... then stood up and got on the next train and continued to BF all the way home. With a bit of practice and the right clothes she has had no issues at all BF'ing while out and about in Hong Kong.

Hope this helps!

RileyC is offline Registered User

It sounds as though the breastfeeding cover that 2010-NewDad's wife chose is something like the Bebe au Lait ones that Annerley and La Leche League sell.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User

Yep, I just Googled it and it is similar to those. As i said, she doesn't always use it but it folds up small in the bag and she has got it out sometimes.

http://shop.bebeaulait.com/Shop_3/originals/parfait

lalligirl is offline Registered User

i agree with 2010newdad - it's a very personal choice. with both my girls, i used the cover until both bub & i were good at & confident with feeding (i.e. latching quickly, no slipping off etc). now i rarely use it - only if i'm wearing a top that doesn't lend itself well to feeding discreetly. i also found that more often than not, it got in the way, but mine doesn't have very strong wire at the top, so it flopped a little. the bebe au laits look a little sturdier than the one i've got.
    the only comment i've ever had from anyone while feeding was positive - from a local man! he was happy to see someone breastfeeding & told me about how his wife breastfed for x amount of months.

banane76 is offline Registered User

They are ok when baby is small, but eventually baby won't like it and will want to look around. Also it can get hot. I find it challenging for myself to do it public as I'm a bit bigger so need one hand to support the breast and then the other to hold baby. You can often find a little corner in Starbucks too to do it discreetly. But yeah, the big shopping places have nursing rooms now-Times Square, IFC, Elements, Ocean Terminal, Pacific Place. Mothercare also has a room in Princes Building.

erina320 is offline Registered User

I use a cover by L'ovedbaby. It's very good and covers baby almost completely. Most people can't even tell I'm nursing and I've had a lot of mom's approach me interested in getting one for themselves. I bought mine in the states, but you may try googling them.

catan is offline Registered User

This is encouraging! :)

Quote Originally Posted by lalligirl View Post
    the only comment i've ever had from anyone while feeding was positive - from a local man! he was happy to see someone breastfeeding & told me about how his wife breastfed for x amount of months.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast