Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

put my son into 2 kinderg... do you think it is a good idea?

fatchai is offline Registered User
    i agree 100% your point of view.
    i have decided not to put him into 2 kindergartens. it makes him too stressful

Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    I wouldn't do that to my son. My son will be 4-years-old in November this year. We speak mostly English at home although my husband's first language is Cantonese. We chose a kindergarten that has a good balance of Cantonese, English and Mandarin teaching but is definitely a local school. There are other foreign children who go to this kindergarten as well as Chinese children who were born and have lived abroad. My son thoroughly enjoys his time at kindergarten in the morning but he is so exhausted when he comes home at noontime. He is often already asleep on the bus when he comes back and then takes a long nap--at least 2-4 hours in the afternoon. I don't think it's fair to keep your child in school for so long in two different learning environments because there will come a time that he won't have a choice and will be stuck studying all day. Why not let him have a little time to just be a kid and rest and play? If you really want your child to learn Cantonese, just put him in a good local kindergarten that also offers English and Mandarin. You'll save a lot of money over the international schools as well.

fatchai is offline Registered User
    read the post from thanka2. enroll your son to a local kindergarten where he can learn both English and Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by ptoche View Post
    good question, we face a similar dilemma, let me share our thoughts: we have a 2 year-old son, mom will mostly speak Cantonese, dad will mostly speak English, and like many Hong Kongers we'd like our son to have English as a strong language, with very good Mandarin and Cantonese! sounds ambitious, but I've seen many kids handle multiple languages, and it's definitely feasible in the right environment. What I keep hearing is that it's difficult to switch from an International school to a Local school (is that even true?) for this reason, mostly, we have wanted our son to go to a local school. However, I also hear that these local schools can be tough, with lots of homework, so we are open to a later switch to an international school should our son be unhappy with the local school. Is that a good strategy? I personally think that his experience will depend mostly on the kind of teacher he gets, rather than the school, but well let's see. Another concern is that the local school (Victoria, Ho Man Tin) is only 3 days a week (mornings) while the international school (Kingston, Kowloon Tong) is 5 days a week (afternoons). We feel that 3 sessions a week is too little. But 3+5=8 sessions would be too much (especially since the morning session ends at 12:30 and the afternoon session starts at 1:30). What to do? We intend to start with both schools and see how it goes, with a view to dropping out of one shool after a month or two...

ptoche is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchai View Post
    read the post from thanka2. enroll your son to a local kindergarten where he can learn both English and Chinese.
    I did and we have, but if you read the passage you quote I said that the local school only offers 3 mornings a week, isn't that too little? hence the double registration thing

carang is offline Registered User
    there surely must be more than one local school in your neighbourhood?

we have also put our kids into local kindergarten and now local primary school. we are very happy with our choice.

kindergarten: had a choice of 1/2 day or full day, 5X/week

carang is offline Registered User
    my then 4 yr old boy loved full day, as does my 4 year old daughter now. BUT they are at the same school for the full day...i would never traipse my kids from one school to another all in one day. that would be exhausting.

ptoche is offline Registered User
    sure, there are plenty of local schools in our neighborhood as we live in Kowloon Tong, but we have our preferences, reputation, fee, etc. so that reduces the choice to a smaller number of schools.

Our son got an offer from Victoria (Ho Man Tin campus, which is not too far from Kowloon Tong), which is apparently quite popular (for some reason), but they offer only 2 or 3 days to the preschoolers (or whatever you call them, I mean the 2-3 years old age group), so to have been offered 3 mornings a week is supposed to be a privilege (only 2 kids out of 8 in his playschool group were offered 3 days, many of those who were offered only 2 days decided to go elsewhere instead). Victoria is quite affordable, so that's another positive.

well we are still undecided, so let's see if our son expresses his own preference, school starts on Wednesday for Victoria (the "local" school) and the week after for Kingston (the "international" school), 3 mornings for Victoria (3 hours per session), 5 afternoons for Kingston (also 3 hours per session), with only 1h30 minutes between the two sessions, very short, no time for a nap, will be tiring no doubt, we'll try it for a month and see if our son has a strong preference for one school over the other.

crazy stuff...

solidstars is offline Registered User
    victoria is known as a very good school, if it were me i would keep my son there since it's only nursery classes right? K1 has more classes in a week i think. by the time he/she should have gotten used to it already?

EarlyYears is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchai View Post
    hi

my son studies in an international kindergarten and will begin R2 after this summer holidays. he still can't speak cantonese nor interest in learning Chinese either. do you think it is a good idea if i enroll him to a local kindergarten near our home next semester so he has more chance to study Chinese.
    In the morning he will be attending the local kindergarten then he will study in international kindergarten afternoon as usual. do u think it will be tough for a 4 years old boy? i don't mind if he starts K1 from scratch in the local kinder but i m not sure whether the school would allow it. Or would it be any other better solution for this?
    Children under the age of five should still get one nap in during the day and for atleast an hour per day. Nighttime sleep should be about ten hours. I have met many children who attended two kindergartens and they were exhausted. They would get easily irritated and lose their temper. Children need sleep in order to develop properly, physically and mentally.

Lack of sleep is such a huge problem in Hong Kong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast