Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Princess Margaret Hospital allow rooming in?

mrspandb100 is offline Registered User

Princess Margaret Hospital allow rooming in?

Please can anyone confirm if the baby is allowed to stay with you at all times - all day and throughout the night at Princess Margaret Hospital? It is very important to me that the baby will stay with me once it is born. Many thanks for your help.

carang is offline Registered User
    AFAIK all gov't hospitals allow this... however, they may ask to take your baby for a bath... and they will give you the option of sending the baby to the nursery for a few hours so you can rest. i'm not sure what it is like at PMH, but at QMH, the nursery was just a room in the middle of the ward, not removed at all...

charade is offline Registered User
    I am not sure whether ALL governtment hospitals allow rooming-in of babies at all times. I delivered at United Christian hospital (govt. hospital in Kwun Tong) last year. My baby was brought to me for breastfeeding a few hours after delivery (not sure exactly how long after - I think 2 or 3 hours - I was pretty dazed) and then taken away to the nursery and then they had a breastfeeding schedule. On the second or third night, mums were encouraged to keep their babies with them. I, however, never managed to keep the baby with me all night because he kept crying, after a couple of hours of breastfeeding (yes, I sat there with baby at my breast for TWO HOURS at a stretch practically every time) they offered to take him away and feed him formula (they cupfeed) which I agreed to with much relief so I could get some rest. The nursery is within the ward and really, not a bad thing. Maybe if I insisted I wanted the baby with me at all times, they might have agreed. However, I once asked if, since my baby was finally asleep and he had just finished feeding two hours ago, I could not wake him to feed him, they said no... I needed to feed the baby then so that he didn't end up getting hungry and waking the other mums later on.

So I'd get info based particularly on your hospital as there seems to be a variation between hospitals.

loveask is offline Registered User
    Yes the baby can stay with u at pmh... Same as queen Mary. I delivered my son at qmh n daughter at pmh. Both very similar.

mrspandb100 is offline Registered User
    Thank you very much for all your replies