Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby babbling yet?

aw222 is offline Registered User

Baby babbling yet?

Hi moms out there! My baby is 6 mths old but she's not making 1 syllable words like "ddddda ddda" yet! Is this normal? All she does is aaaahhhs and ooouus or make panting noises when she's excited. Should I be worried?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I wouldn't be. How is her other areas of development going? Is she rolling over? Reaching for objects? Putting objects in her mouth? Children develop at different rates and may have a stronger ability in one area. My son wasn't much of a talker compared to how my daughter is but he developed his motor skills rather quickly and was crawling around 5-months-old and walking by 8.5-months. His younger sister started babbling up a storm--even with inflection in her voice when she was about 2.5 months-old but she has yet to roll over on her own. Every baby is different.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

aw222 is offline Registered User
    Thanks thanka2! Well she's good otherwise...so I'm just a bit worried cuz all the books say that at 6 months, ur baby should be able to pronounce "ddda" etc one word syllable words :(

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    I wouldn't worry, your baby probably hasn't read the book ;-)

Seriously, developmental milestones have a very wide range of 'normal' and it's only worth worrying if your baby consistently doesn't meet multiple developmental indicators and even then lots of babies are just late developers and catch up in their own time. Enjoy your baby and don't take the books too seriously. :-)

mariaindb is offline Registered User
    Agree with all the others. My son was a late talker according to the books, and now we can't keep him quiet! For his age, his language skills are now way ahead! Looks like my daughter is going the same way...

SpeechNic is offline Registered User
    There is definitely a wide range in which children begin babbling and canonical babbling and I am sure your child is just fine.

If you are worried, and haven't done so, I would suggest a routine hearing check. Sometimes, even a minor ear infection or ear wax can reduce hearing and slow down the acquisition of babbling.

RileyC is offline Registered User
    Another thing to note is that just because a baby is quiet, it doesn't mean that he/she isn't absorbing things like a sponge! I've heard it said that it's usually the ones that take longer to start talking that become motor mouths once they finally do decide to talk!

southside852 is offline Registered User
    like those mentioned above, do not worry about it. every baby develops differently. my 9 month year old sat up earlier than my now 3 year old. My 3 year old started crawling 3 months earlier than my 9 month year old. My 3 year old was a cinch in to wean onto solids and it's taken a lot longer for my younger one etc...

As long as she is happy, healthy, alert and well rested then I would say she's progressing just fine! :)

Scroll to top