Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

dressing baby

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Catan, get used to it! Earlier in the year when it was a bit cooler I was still getting comments about the boy being dressed in shorts and a t-shirt even though he's old enough to tell me if he's feeling cold!

ozmerc is offline Registered User
    Funny! Now I know why I get so many stares when I go out with my 4 week old (and have been doing so since day 3). She wears a sleeveless onesie and I carry her in a wrap on my front most of the time. Even then it gets too hot...let alone if I swaddled her or added extra layers of clothing. I think if you wear your baby next to your body then temperature regulation isn't really an issue, although I stay right out of the heat as much as possible as we both get a bit sweaty.

marianlaura is offline Registered User
    I was told by my MIL who is Chinese about the "wind" (advises such as not to wash your hair that often when you're pregnant). She is Chinese, but not too strict with these superstitions and so she never really told us off if we don't follow her. However, other women here in HK seem like they have the need to tell us off eventhough they don't know us. I was at MCH once and a Chinese mom told my husband in Cantonese to tell me not to wear sleeveless summer dress and that I have to cover myself up because I might get joint problems. It's 33 degrees outside (and yes, she was wearing two layers - a sweater and jumper - and Uggs... ridiculous!). Also older people here are fond of babies which is very endearing, but then once they find out that my baby is only 2 month old then they give us a little talk for taking the baby out so young. Apparently, you shouldn't take them out that often if they're under 3 months and not to take them out at all if they're under one month because of "evil spirits and dead souls roaming around and that these spirits follow them and thus, the babies will have a hard time sleeping".

Btw, you will know when your baby is hot or cold. Just feel the nape of their neck or their chest. Their feet and hands are almost always cold because babies still have under-developed body circulation and so the feet/hands are the last to receive that body heat.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    My mom started in on the whole long hair / blow-drying / no-cold-drinks / "wind" thing when I was a teenager. She said I'd see when I got older and got headaches and joint pain.
    It's been 15 years now, and still I almost never get headaches and joint pain.
    Now my mom says that I should just wait and see -- when I get arthritis when I'm 60 or 70, it will be because of cold drinks, not blow-drying my hair and "wind."
    Ha! I love my mom. My if I get arthritis when I'm 65, it will be because of old age!

bonita is offline Registered User
    During my confinement month, I realized that the professionally trained confinement nurse has never heard of SIDS! Both me & my husband (American) were shocked. And of course, there were countless times I had to go unwrap my baby from all the extra layers the nurse has put on her.
    Chinese don't understand overdressing & overheating at all. Just go by a kindergarten or nursery during winter time to see the kids walking like robots because they have so many layers on they can't bend their elbows & knees.

catan is offline Registered User
    Yes, wearing baby so close to me makes us BOTH hot! People don't understand that unless they've carried their babies similarly themselves (and oftentimes they have not!). Even in a sleeveless onesie, her neck and body are still warm even in places with a/c.

When my baby is in a sling, local passerby people say in disapproving tones: "how can she carry her baby like that", "that's not good for baby's spine/legs", etc. Makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong even though I'm trying to do my best!

Quote Originally Posted by ozmerc View Post
    Funny! Now I know why I get so many stares when I go out with my 4 week old (and have been doing so since day 3). She wears a sleeveless onesie and I carry her in a wrap on my front most of the time. Even then it gets too hot...let alone if I swaddled her or added extra layers of clothing. I think if you wear your baby next to your body then temperature regulation isn't really an issue, although I stay right out of the heat as much as possible as we both get a bit sweaty.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    unfortunately this goes for kids at ALL ages - not just babies. My toddler was wearing a summer dress (spaghetti straps) in the midst of summer...June and I was told by my MIL that I needed to cover her up...the funny thing was that my daughters head was full of sweat! My MIL's theory is that since she is sweating, she will get a "cold" from it, so I should give her an additional layer of clothing...needless to say, I told her I didn't have a jacket and left....she was quite pissed with me! :)

catan is offline Registered User
    My mother tells me this as well. So when my baby wakes up multiple times a night, I get blamed for taking her outside, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by marianlaura View Post
    Apparently, you shouldn't take them out that often if they're under 3 months and not to take them out at all if they're under one month because of "evil spirits and dead souls roaming around and that these spirits follow them and thus, the babies will have a hard time sleeping".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Scroll to top