Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

dressing baby

catan is offline Registered User

dressing baby

I carry my baby in a sling a lot and tend to dress her in thin sleeveless onesies. I get many comments from my relatives about how it's bad for her health to keep her legs and arms uncovered. However, my baby tends to be very warm, especially when I'm carrying her, and I worry she'll overheat in this summer heat! She doesn't cry much so I assume she's comfortable most of the time?

I'm just learning as I go along... would appreciate any feedback!

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    We normally dress our baby in a sleeveless one-sie too, and simply use a blanket to shield her from any vicious shopping mall/restaurant air-con as necessary. It isn't cold in the Hong Kong summer, babies don't need to be covered simply to satisfy relatives.... it's pretty easy to see if he/she is content or not.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    It depends on what you do around with your baby. If we go out, knowing we'll spend a lot of time in a taxi/bus or in a mall, we put some long or half-long shorts and a long sleeves light top on our girl, or take a little jacket if she has only short sleeves (I also carry my daughter a lot)... but most of the time we never need it.
    If we spend more time out, no pants, no sleeves, a little bit of sun cream and a cap, and she's fine !
    Why do they tell you it's bad for the baby, what is the reason ?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Babies have a layer of fat so they keep pretty insulated against the cold. We dress our baby in a sleeveless onesie and carry her in a front pack. We also pack a pair of sweatpants and a little long-sleeve shirt or jacket for her in case we feel her legs are getting cold--if we're in under cold A/C for long periods of time. If we overdress our daughter she just screams because she's too hot so it's easy for us to tell if she's dressed warmly enough.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    It's pretty easy to tell if a baby is too hot or too cold - just feel the back of their neck. If it's nice and toasty, they're fine. If their hands and feet are a bit cold, they might like a light jacket. But if they're pretty warm, don't bother. And if they're sweaty, or if their hands and feet are really hot, then they're probably overheating!! A LOT of babies over here are completely overdressed, and not only is it uncomfortable for them, but it can also cause some (minor) developmental delays since it is harder for them to move around.

catan is offline Registered User
    Something about wind getting into the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Why do they tell you it's bad for the baby, what is the reason ?

RileyC is offline Registered User
    I agree with nicolejoy that a lot of people in HK overdress their babies. If your baby is thriving, healthy, looks content and doesn't feel cold, then sleeveless onesies are fine.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Same here, I think a lot of people here overdress their babies. They'll let you know if they're too cold and in this weather unless they're right under the aircon, it's unlikely.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Scroll to top