Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lingnan Nursery

rosachan is offline Registered User

Lingnan Nursery

My son will start pre nursery ie 2yr old entry at Lingnan Nursery Stubbs Road. What kind of path/ primary school does this local school usually lead to and if local education does not suit my son, can I still transfer to International schooling? There seems to be a lot of confusion about the Lingnan campus too. How do parents with kids attending Lingnan Kindergarten plan to cope with that?

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Lingnan provides a wonderful place for kids to learn Cantonese but it doesnt led into anything. After completing Lingnan you are free to choose any school you wish. There are parents who:
    a) transfer to ESF or international after K2 (into P1)
    b) transfer to ESF or international after K3 (into P2)
    c) transfer to local or DSS schools after K3 (into P1)
    d) continue on to Lingnan primary
    We put our 3 kids into Lingnan and when they finished, we choose to send them to KCS so they could supplement their Cantonese knowledge with Mandarin.

What is the confusion issue with the campus?

rani is offline Administrator
    On Sunday we saw the Lingnan parents on their protest walk on Stubbs Rd. The gov't has declared the kindergarten building unsafe
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Thanks for your prompt reply!

How easy was it to get admitted to KCS after Lingnan? ( And you managed to get all your three kids in!) I also applied to KCS but my son failed the interview for the 2 year old entry. My son is a young baby, born in August, maybe thats why he failed too.
    I have just had a second boy, so want to set the path right for both of them. So your kids like KCS? I have heard that their Mandarin is very good, how about English? My husband and I are both Cantonese/ HK locals and we rely on the helper to speak to my kids in English...

The Lingnan campus is moving from Stubbs Road to somewhere else, but they have not yet been able to identify a permanent place. My son will start with them in Stubbs Road this August but he will need to move some time soon..

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Unsafe building : My cynical side suspects that there is nothing really wrong with the building. Lingnan Kindergarten and Primary sit on some very nice sized prime real estate. As the whole terrace seems to be redeveloping, its now really expensive prime land that someone wants to get their hands on to redevelop into some shiny new flats.

We are a western family with 2 western parents. We do not speak any Chinese at home but wanted to give our kids trilingual education.

Lingnan (as you probably know) is a Cantonese institution. There is practically no English there and very little Mandarin. The teachers are very caring and the whole environment is lovely. Our kids were speaking Cantonese within a year of attending Lingnan and we were very happy there.
    All 3 kids qualified to get into KCS. I believe this was due to their knowledge of characters and their fluency in Cantonese (from Lingnan) and English (from home).

KCS mandarin is traditional and very intensive. The teachers are all native speakers and many are quite strict. We liked it a lot but it is not for everyone. Some parents really hate it due to the strictness and the traditional teaching methods which include a *lot* of home work.

As our kids grew up and finished primary, we switched them over to English schools for secondary. I still have 1 child in KCS, he will start P4 in September. There are other choices for Mandarin in Hong Kong but I believe KCS is the only affordable one. It is also the only school that I know of that is primarily Mandarin speaking; all subjects except for Enlish is taught in Mandarin. This differs quite a bit from ISF/CIS/SIS and similar schools which have varying levels of Mandarin.

We chose our method because we were English speaking parents wanting to give our kids trilingual capability. In your case, you are local Chinese. If I were in your shoes, I would pick a different method. I would try to give the kids much more English exposure as they wont get much at home.

Thanks for the tips and advice. I will let him start at Lingnan first since he already got admitted and use this year ( since he is only 2 years old) and observe what he enjoys most. Actually I went on a school tour at the IMS ( Midlevels campus...actually the location is more Sheung Wan than Midlevels) and was very impressed with the teaching method, Montessori. Would anyone know if Montessori schooling would be sufficient for the few years of education, ie meaning with undergoing the traditional method of learning?

merryma is offline Registered User
    So confuse, and needs your thoughts and advice please...

my son is joining Lingnan this September to its K1's full day class. We were very happy for the admission until we knew about their plan about moving the campus from Stubbs Road, which I believe to be in Sui Sai Wan near by saiwanho...
    We were hopeful about the school for its good reputation in discipline and manner teaching, and a happy environment overall. Despite being a very local Chinese (Cantonese) kindergarten, we have heard that the environment is indeed very international, partly because of the students from the near by locations of Stubbs Road. So there's the multicultural experience we want too (though they communicate in Cantonese only). With their plan moving to Saiwanho, we are not sure if it will continued to provide the international experience. I guess some international parents living in the Central-Western or Stubbs Road might be leaving the kindergarten mainly for the distance reason. The same thing might be for us too.
    I am quite upset for this change, meaning I would have to move my boy again next year to another kindergarten. He was in Victoria for Pre-Nursery (2 yr old), and now going to Lingnan for K1... we feel so bad for having to move him to another kindergarten for K2 and K3... and I am not sure if this looks good for primary school application next time. Seems too "jumpy"?!

Any parents in the same shoe? Please share your thoughts.

Any parents have had the experience changing kindergarten more than twice in kindergarten for their kids?
    I was also wondering if I should start knocking doors of some good schools in Central or Wanchai, to try to get him a place as soon as one is available, even during the academic year. Any parents did this before?

Hi Merryma, what you wrote is exactly what is on my mind too....I am not sure if I would want my son to travel to SaiWanHo later as it is quite a bit of a distance for him on the school bus. Also as far as I have heard, SaiWanHo is not the permanent address, they are still trying to identify a suitable campus!

I am already trying to find a second plan....I have enrolled onto Sunshine school at the Peak, it is very different from Lingnan but they are the only one who would accept him this school year so far. ( My son will start the 2 year prenursery in Lingnan until they move in Feb...thats my contingency plan unless he is very happy there...)

Why did you move your son out of Victoria, just out of curiosity? How did you find it there? My son did not get admitted there and would be good to know if we lose out on anything...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast