Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Children friendly areas in Hong Kong

Zoska is offline Registered User

Children friendly areas in Hong Kong

What in your opinion is child friendly area in Hong Kong and why? I am currently living in Happy Valley and i know many people move here when they are having a baby but i don't find it green enough for bringing Up a child and am considering moving. But would love to know other ppl opinions on this subject :)

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    How do you define "green enough"? What is child friendly?

Happy Valley racecourse plus Victoria Park (nearby) are the 2 largest green places that I know of. There is no where else that has a larger green space, except for the hills and mountains.
    Happy Valley also has multiple playgrounds (indoor and outdoor), library, 3 swimming pools within 10min taxi ride and many many schools and playgroups to appeal to kids. I'm not aware of any other location that offers so much for kids.

A lot of parents prefer DB for children which gives them a feeling of greeness and some just go out even further to find greenness (eg : Sai Kung, ClearwaterBay, ShekO) but moving to these outlying areas come with their own disadvantages as you are more isolated and further away from activities and amenities.
    Last edited by howardcoombs; 07-26-2011 at 06:21 PM.

erina320 is offline Registered User
    We live in Tung Chung and find it very "kid friendly". Lots and lots of playgrounds, walking paths, swimming pools, public library, movie theater, a few schools and heck your only one stop from Disney, which could be viewed as good or bad. ;-) It is very green by Hong Kong standards and lacks the noise, car pollution and hustle and bustle of Central.

hkexpat2010 is offline Registered User
    If you want to get off HK island, besides Discovery Bay, there is also Lamma island and Park island, that are all short boat rides away from central, but much greener!

Good luck!

Zoska is offline Registered User
    I m thinking DB now, there is no cars lots of space and yung familis. HV reace trak is not my favorite choice to go for walk wit lil baby and Victoria park is 20/25 min away so ok for long walks only. I think streets in HV are very narrow and busy, not at all ideal for small children but this is only my opinion. Coming from Europ and growing up next to 2 big parks I find it hard to live in Hong Kong with a little baby.

Uta
    Uta is offline Registered User

Newly arrived and need advice for appartment search

Hi.
    Has anybody an idea how the best way is finding an apartment in a baby friendly area not too far away from Central? Ideally furnished? My husband starts working in Central on Monday and we have an apartment for 4 weeks in Causeway Bay which is far too crowded for us. We are used to big parks and a lot of green and my 9 month old daughter enjoys being outside a lot. We come from Frankfurt/Germany and since I´m not working I am pretty happy to meet other moms with babies in Patricias age.
    I´d better start a new forum entry, too...
    Thanks -Uta