Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Doc going on vacation when I am due

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Doc going on vacation when I am due

We switched from another doctor to our current one early in pregnancy, and he's been great. He's followed me since the first trimester, remembers me and my case every time, takes time to answer questions, is pro-natural birth / breast-feeding, and even called / visited twice when I had off-hour medical problems.

The problem is that he's going to be away the week before I'm due. I can't blame him. From what I can tell, he hasn't had a holiday since I started seeing him a half-year ago. He told me in advance, and even apologized. He also set up a back-up doctor at the hospital when he's away.

I've read some not-so-great things about this back-up doctor on this forum. Of course, every case is different, and she might be fine with me. I'm going to make an appointment with her to see if she's as flexible / comfortable with my birth plan as he is.

I know some doctors ask their patients to induce / have C-sections to fit their schedules. My doc did NOT ask me to do this, respecting my wishes for as little medical intervention as possible.

But... even though I was polite and said it was fine, I'd feel better in his hands. Is it worth inducing before he goes on leave? He'll be gone when I am 38/39 weeks.

bridiemexico is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Hi Gracey, I know it can be stressful if the Dr you have chosen may not be there. You said the back-up Dr might induce/c-section to fit their schedule. That is not very different to you inducing to fit your schedule (ie have your other Dr there) you are more likely to end up with a c-section if you induce when your body is not ready. Have trust in yourself and try to trust that your Dr would not leave you with someone that will not respect your birth plan.
    Good luck!

jvn is offline Registered User
    Mid-Levels, Hong Kong
    Absolutely not. Sorry, Gracey, but it's really not a good idea to start labour medically more than two weeks before your baby is due just so you can have the same doctor. You need to see the back up doctor and if you're really uncomfortable with them then you need to find another one. Even if you do go into labour when your doctor is away, you still have choices, they can't make you have a c-section or agree to other interventions that you don't want and don't feel is medically necessary - lots of mothers need to stand up for what they want during birth, it is possible.

I can see it's just that you're over thinking this but it makes no sense at all that you want to keep this doctor as they're pro natural and then do something unnatural to keep him. An induced labour is more likely to end in a c-section, especially that early so you probably stand less likelyhood of having the birth you want by doing this than with a new doctor.

Are there any major complications to induction? Read thread on induction, there are some useful links to articles in there as well and bear in mind this woman is talking about being induced after her due date and not before.
    Last edited by jvn; 07-27-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Ap Lei Chau
    With a little bit of chance, your baby will come sooner (without being induced!) or even later ! Trust your back-up doctor, wether some people like her or not (not every doctor is loved by every one !), she certainely knows her job very well and gave birth to thousands of babies.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    South District
    i'd go see your back up doctor to get a feel for things....obviously your doc and the back up will talk about your case i.e. if there is anything to be aware of etc. i know a friend who had a c-section just because their doc was going on holiday - that is a choice for you yourself to make. my 3rd came 3 weeks early - though my doc wouldn't have been on holiday, sometimes nature has it's way of making things work out. there must be a reason why your doc has referred you to this back up doc....similar belief? don't know - but you could try to find out to ease your mind. if not, you could always change doctors now if you have a good idea of who you're 2nd choice doc would be....just another option.

ssheng is offline Registered User
    Kowloon Station
    Although your choice of doctor is important, another thing to point out is that they actually aren't there for most of the birthing process - maybe just the last 10-20 minutes or so once you have already done most of the work of pushing the baby out, and then if necessary, they stitch you up.

In my experience, however limited, it is the maternity nurses/midwives who are the ones with you for most of the advanced labor, and you are alone or with your spouse for the early labor. There are many people who say giving birth does not need to be made into a medical procedure - having a doctor around is unnecessary except in the event of a C-section, induction, etc. Likewise, all the breastfeeding help at the hospital was given by the maternity nurses and midwives. I only saw my doctor for 5 minutes when she checked on my healing progress. Therefore chances are that whichever doctor you have, you aren't spending a ton of time with them that day.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    Tai Tam
    If you are having a low-risk pregnancy, I'd say it wouldn't be worth the risk of an early induction. Share your birth plan with the back-up doc and go from there. If there aren't any major foreseeable complications, I'm sure you will get the birth you want!

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    You shouldn't induce a labour unless it is absolutely necessary (for medical reason). Even after I had my bloody show and was full term, my doctor (Dr Philip Ho) asked me not to induce, but to wait for natural birth.

Perhaps you can start seeing the back-up doctor he has suggested (or another doctor you are comfortable with) now. It will give you and the doctor some time to get to know each other and gain your trust in his ability. I think it's important for you to develop the relationship with the doctor who is going to deliver your baby, as early as possible. I am also of the opinion that the OBGYN is important and plays a key role in the birthing process, though it is true that in most uncomplicated delivery, the mid-wife does most of the work. In the event of an complication, the doctor makes the decision/recommendation on how to proceed (C-Section etc), and that could play a big part in ensuring the safety of the mother and child.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast