Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Locals snapping pictures of my children?

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    You are right, NewMommie. Once I went to GuangZhou, and used their MTR system. I was quite surprised to see how people would offer their seats to other people in need (e.g. lady carrying lot of bags)... Something not very common in HK.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracey View Post
    Howard -- I don't think it's hysteria. OK, maybe for some people, but not for most.
    Lets split the difference and call it "many", ok ? :-)

For those who are not paranoid and/or hysterical, they see "different" as you note below:
    Mainland Chinese really do have a different sense of personal space --- and I say this as a Chinese person. Whether it's shoving you out of the way on a sidewalk, or reaching over to grab your newspaper out of your airplane seat, or sticking a camera literally two feet away from your face -- it's different even to Hong Kong, and different to most places in the world.
    I agree with you 100%. They are different. They have their own customs and ways of doing things and many times, this clashes with sensibilities of non mainland Chinese people. They smoke and honk horns and hork up and spit and stare and touch and (I could go on and on)....

I don't know if I'd always see that as harmless curiosity, even if there was no ill intent.
    This is the part I take issue with.
    Just because they are different, different than yours and my culture, does not make them bad/wrong/harmful.
    Mainland is not unique in this position.
    You should listen to how:
    - Americans talk about Mexicans
    - Europeans talk about Americans
    - French talk about the British
    - Brits talk about the Germans
    etc etc etc

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Howard -- None of us are here to debate the danger of stereotypes in general all over the world.

The thread is about a specific issue in Hong Kong: mainland Chinese tourists doing things that make people -- particularly young children and their parents -- uncomfortable.

I'm not sure what you mean by "my culture." I am Chinese. I have family on both sides of the border. Going up unannounced to a stranger's child and taking photos / touching / picking up without permission is bad behavior anywhere -- whether you're from China or Chile. If you walked up to a family on a crowded Beijing street and started touching and photographing a baby without permission, that Chinese parent would be upset, too.

I'm pretty easy-going, but this kind of behavior can be potentially dangerous. I saw a Chinese couple pick up a little Western girl at the airport and try to carry her away to the other side of the lounge -- the parents were furious. How are they to know if you're a Chinese tourist who just wants a photo, or a kidnapper?

Cultural differences or not, it's not right to barge up to strangers' kids and touch them or stick cameras in their faces with no warning. While staring, pointing and crowding around children is less alarming, it's still rude. Some young kids are afraid of strangers. Some families are quite private.

There are some universal codes of etiquette -- and mainlanders should not be exempt just because they're from China.

In the example you site, some tourists asked you -- an adult who can take care of himself -- to pose, and you said yes. There's nothing wrong with that.

Obviously, I'm not talking about casual travel photography, or grandma taking snapshots at a school play. I don't know what part of town you live in, but if you go to some areas of Kowloon with large numbers of Chinese tourists / recent immigrants, there is some behavior that is not very good at all.

doudoub is offline Banned
    yes, i hate people taking pictures of my sweetheart without asking my permission!

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracey View Post
    There are some universal codes of etiquette -- and mainlanders should not be exempt just because they're from China.
    No such universal code exists.

Trying to enforce what you believe to be right/good/best upon a culture that is unfamiliar with that concepts will only result in frustration.

Aviel is offline Registered User
    It's quite annoying to see a stranger taking photos of your child. If I were you I wouldn't mind being offensive to such people. You read so many stories on the internet nowdays that you can't help feeling petrified by the sheer thought that something similar could happen to you

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910