Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Locals snapping pictures of my children?

PurpleFlower is offline Registered User
    You know what? A mainlander actually TOOK my baby out of my arms and took him to her seat a few months back when we were on a plane! She didn't take the hint when I turned away from her (with baby in my arms). She just leant over and TOOK him! I was shocked but when I looked over at my husband, he just gave the look of "she can't go far" (she was only two rows behind us) that I didn't react. Luckily, they didn't take him for long. Felt really uncomfortable and don't think I'll let anyone do that again!

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Purple Flower -- I would have complained to the air crew. That is totally unacceptable.
    And I'm sorry to stereotype, but I bet the majority of the staring / unwanted photo taking / touch other peoples' children are from mainland Chinese. Hong Kongers may be loud, but they are much more aware of privacy / etiquette issues with other peoples' kids.

missidealiste is offline Registered User
    I'm very defensive when it comes to protection of my baby especially when it's a mainlander that approach us. Aside of germs that any strangers can transmit to baby, I heard too many horror stories of baby traffickers. My friend was even offered to "sell" her baby while we were in Shenzhen few years ago..

http://english.cri.cn/6909/2011/07/28/53s650762.htm

To all mommy out there, beware. If someone were to make me n my family uncomfortable, I would deal it directly. I doubt the flight attendant would be able to stop this... It doesn't seem the person that took those pic know how to respect ppl at the first place... I cant speak the same "language" when the situation required...

kiwiinoz is offline Registered User
    This is a very hard topic to deal with. If they are determined to take a photo of your child, they will all but stalk you to get the right shot. My daughter (6.5) in particular has been "paparazzied" (love that term Nicolejoy) since the day we got to HK. I go through phases of 'eh - whatever' to 'extremely annoyed' and so does my daughter. There are a few hot spots for us where it can be almost prolific - HK Disneyland, Ocean Park, anywhere in TST and the beaches being the worst. It is mostly mainlanders, but we've also had issues with Japanese and South African tourists among others. We had several incidences yesterday at HK Disneyland where people were constantly trying to get a shot of my daughter to the point I just put my hand over her face for much of the time we were there. On top of that, we had a mainland chinese man keep trying to get close enough while we were in line for "Small World" to try and touch her. He reached out a couple of times and I pulled her away so that she was eventually shielded by my husband and myself. It is one thing to take a photo, entirely another to touch. Some people seem almost obsessed with wanting to touch her hair and head. What is up with that? She hates it and it creeps me out.
    Most of the time I ask my daughter if she is ok with people taking her photo and depending on her reaction allow, or not. Of course, people don't seem to understand no and just become more discreet (or so obviously indiscreet you can't help but roll your eyes) about it.

PurpleFlower - what that person did is totally NOT ok in my opinion. If anyone tried to wander off with one of my kids, plane or not, I would be going off at them and complaining.

erina320 is offline Registered User
    Purpleflower- I would have absolutely NOT have allowed someone to hold/ carry my baby away, plane or not!

Last year when we were here for 2 months a lady tried to take my then 2 year old daughter out of my arms at the Lady's Market. I wouldn't let go of my daughters legs and the lady eventually got the point. All I could think of was this woman could disappear into one of these doorways and my sweet baby would be gone forever!

Gracey is offline Registered User
    I agree. Taking photos is annoying, but probably not dangerous or harmful.
    Physically touching, holding or walking away with someone else's child without the parent's consent is dangerous. I would have shouted at her -- no matter what language -- and called the flight crew.

PurpleFlower is offline Registered User
    Very true. They could have done anything to him! :'(

Leta is offline Registered User
    Oh my I can't believe it the Chinese lady jus took ur baby without ur consent. If I were you I will definitely be very upset and tell her off straight away. I am a Chinese fr Singapore but would never do such things even though I do admire babies with big round blue eyes. They are jus so pretty :))

next time pls be careful!! As I have heard lots of stories about babies and kids being stolen away..these ppl believed to be mainlanders will come up to you as "good ppl " maybe to give you a hand but they will disappear with your babies once you are not looking.. So pls be more cautious of this.

As for snapping photos of babies, me too do not understand why does ppl like to take photos of other babies? ESP when they are strangers... Maybe they jus wanna snap beautiful Pictures and put into their portfolio?? But taking several pictures at one go, this I dun understand.

But I do have an surprising experience when I was taking a walk with my then 8months old gal in Hyde park in London, there was this English couple who came up to me and said my gal is beautiful ( I was flattered of coz hahaha as I never thought that a Chinese baby would attract anyone's attention). And they actually asked for my permissions to let them take pictures of my gal. I was impressed as they had asked and of coz I let them took a couple of pictures.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast