Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Locals snapping pictures of my children?

miran is offline Registered User
    just to add on to the cultural angle that has come in - we have been asked a couple of times in stanley by "white" people if they could snap our son. We are south asians and brown :) They were from Germany and Ireland respectively before a socio economic discussion starts here :)

For me it's a very personal discussion. I have freinds who HATE anyone putting their kid's snap on FB. I respect that. On the other hand our friends were mobbed in Beijing coz of their then two year old son. They were ok with that. It's at the end of the day what you are personally comfortable with.

erina320 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by howardcoombs View Post

However, one must accept that we are living in Hong Kong and it is part of China (we are not in Europe nor in North America). Over here, it is very normal for people to take pictures of kids, touch them, cuddle them etc etc.
    This is not strange, they are not pedophiles, they are not trying to kidnap the kids. They are just normal people treating children the way children are treated in this part of the world.
    Howard- This statement is simply not true. As I stated in my original post if you try and take a picture of them or their children they shake their heads "No" and hustle away. In fact there was a case where my daughter was playing with a little Chinese girl in Tai O, everyone was happy and fine with the two of them playing until my husband tried to take a picture of the two of them playing and then the Mother ran and swept up her child as though we were trying to take her and said "No."

Also, if it is the cultural norm why can't I take pictures of my own children at the playground or swimming pool without someone stopping me?

I find it ironic that someone who keeps telling everyone else to "not stress about it" always seems to through themselves into the mix and acts an instigator.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by erina320 View Post
    Howard- This statement is simply not true. As I stated in my original post if you try and take a picture of them or their children they shake their heads "No" and hustle away. In fact there was a case where my daughter was playing with a little Chinese girl in Tai O, everyone was happy and fine with the two of them playing until my husband tried to take a picture of the two of them playing and then the Mother ran and swept up her child as though we were trying to take her and said "No."
    The Chinese race are not uniform nor homogeneous; they dont act all the same. I made some generalisations.
    Perhaps you ran into a paranoid mother who thought you were going to post the pictures to Facebook and exploded in anger.
    Perhaps she was a Chinese Muslim mother and her religion forbids photographs.
    Perhaps she is one of those irrational people who think taking pictures steal your soul.
    Or even maybe, she thought your husband was a pedophile and she was trying to protect her child.
    Who can tell?

Also, if it is the cultural norm why can't I take pictures of my own children at the playground or swimming pool without someone stopping me?
    I have no idea. I raised 3 kids in Hong Kong. I have pictures of them in all kinds of playgrounds and swimming pools. Both public and private. I never had any issues. I've also never seen any signs forbidding photography. In fact, I regularly see Chinese parents with cameras taking pictures of their kids and sometimes my kids.

I find it ironic that someone who keeps telling everyone else to "not stress about it" always seems to through themselves into the mix and acts an instigator.
    I speak my mind simply and plainly. When I see a number of people saying irrational things, I cant help but put a few cents in there and bring some sanity into the discussion.

They are not homogenous and nor are we. Therefore we can react however we like as well.

I'll take a picture of the signs for you tomorrow if you like and I've read you in other posts, we have a name for people like you back home...

S#*t Stirrer.

They are not homogenous and nor are we. Therefore we can react however we like as well.
    Ofcourse you can. As I've stated many times already, your family, your rules. You do what feels comfortable and natural to you.
    That wont change the fact that next time you are in Ocean park, some Chinese family will take pictures of your kids.
    Next time you are in Disney, a different Chinese family will try to touch them.
    If you want peace and tranquility, you need to get used to it.
    If you want to continue to have conflict, be my guest, yell and scream about it.

I'll take a picture of the signs for you tomorrow if you like.
    Just tell me where they are, I'll trust your word for it. Is it in a public park? Private estate? Private club? Which one?
    Since you find this objectionable, have you done anything about it? Or did you quietly accept it, lest you be labelled a shit stirrer?

and I've read you in other posts, we have a name for people like you back home...
    S#*t Stirrer.
    Is that what you call people who disagree with your views?

I'll take a picture for you as you seem to be someone who needs to see it for yourself.

I don't think anyone is as upset over this topic as you seem to think they are. It's a minor annoyance/ curiosity, but one I and I'm sure most of us can live with. No matter where you live in the world there are going to be pros and cons simply being a foreigner does not mean you have to be all embracing. ex. California has beautiful weather, but the traffic sucks.

No, S#*t Stirrer is what I call someone who always instigates negativity on a topic or only chimes in to call someone out. Other people have expressed differences of opinion and I have no problem with them and have not labeled them as such. Unlike you if someone has an opposing opinion on a matter I don't feel a need to tell them they are wrong, get over it or get out or that they're going to be forever miserable in HK... as you have.

No, S#*t Stirrer is what I call someone who always instigates negativity on a topic or only chimes in to call someone out.
    I will call someone out when that someone is spreading completely false information. I only chimed in when someone on this thread decided to perpetuate urban legends that have no basis in reality.
    If that makes me a shit stirrer, then so be it. If you dont like it, feel free to ignore my posts.

Unlike you if someone has an opposing opinion on a matter I don't feel a need to tell them they are wrong, get over it or get out or that they're going to be forever miserable in HK... as you have.
    Perhaps you should go back and re-read what I wrote as you seem to have misinterpreted my words.
    The only idea that I dismissed out of hand as wrong was not an opinion : It was an urban legends being reported as fact.

Since you are picking names from "back home", tell me : what do they call a person who stuffs words into other's mouths? Thats precisely what you are doing as the words you have typed did not come from me.

canadianinhk is offline Registered User
    We get the picture taking thing and I don't like it much but the thing that gets me is why in the world do people want pictures of strangers children? I mean I can understand if we had a nice conversation etc but to want a picture of a random child...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast