Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Locals snapping pictures of my children?

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianinhk View Post
    We get the picture taking thing and I don't like it much but the thing that gets me is why in the world do people want pictures of strangers children?
    A few weeks back, we were visiting Yunnan province and ran into some Naxi women. My eldest immediately whipped out her camera a snapped a few pictures of them. Others in our tour group did the same. The ladies looked like this :
    http://shanghaiist.com/2007/11/09/ph...the_da_115.php
    I'm sure they are also wondering: Why are all these white people taking our pictures?

The answer is : humans like to capture images of things that are different; things we are not used to seeing normally. Most westerners come to Hong Kong and take pictures of the skyscrapers.
    Many chinese come to Hong Kong and take pictures of westerners.
    Leaving the kids aside, you should go visit Lan Kwai Fong - its funny how so many Chinese tour groups take pictures of westerners just having a beer on the street.
    Random Naxi Women, Random beer drinker, Random child -- no difference except for the point that *some* parents of those children get bothered a lot due overactive imaginations and also due to the fact they are not used to strangers taking pictures.
    Last edited by howardcoombs; 08-03-2011 at 06:58 AM.

canadianinhk is offline Registered User
    Hmmm good point. And yup I've seen the LKF tour groups going through. Rather amusing. I guess I find it amusing when some one takes a picture of me but never thought of it the same when it is with my kids. I do think you are right about relaxing about it all. I find that when I just let people take the pictures I don't get as tense and stressed about it all. I do draw the line at the grabbing and touching though because I don't like people do that to me so I'm sure not going to let someone do it to my babies and that is not just here. I don't let people I don't know do it at home either. Maybe that's my germ phobia talking :)

Quote Originally Posted by canadianinhk View Post
    Hmmm good point. And yup I've seen the LKF tour groups going through. Rather amusing.
    Its right down hilarious. A bunch of Mainlanders, many with expensive cameras & telephoto lenses, taking pictures of a bunch of after-work-people socializing over drinks. Its not something I would do, but they seem to enjoy doing this.

I guess I find it amusing when some one takes a picture of me but never thought of it the same when it is with my kids. I do think you are right about relaxing about it all. I find that when I just let people take the pictures I don't get as tense and stressed about it all.
    Some people hate their pics being taken, some people hate their kids pics being taken (with or without permission).
    Its going to happen anyway so might as well get used to it.
    Back when my 3 were younger, we invented a funny game and the kids still remember it fondly.
    Go to OceanPark and see how many pictures you can insert yourself into. The one with the most pictures wins a prize at the end of the day. It was really funny watching 3 little kids running around and planting themselves in the middle of a group of visiting mainlanders to get their picture taken. Everyone was happy :-)

I do draw the line at the grabbing and touching though because I don't like people do that to me so I'm sure not going to let someone do it to my babies and that is not just here. I don't let people I don't know do it at home either. Maybe that's my germ phobia talking :)
    Still happens from time to time, but touching was never a huge problem here in Hong Kong.
    But if you visit China, be prepared as you will get hoards trying to touch.

ssheng is offline Registered User
    Quick question for you guys - are the kids getting all the photos taken of them only those with light, possibly curly hair and light colored eyes? Just wondering because no one has ever tried to take photos of my kids, touch them or anything like that, and therefore this thread was a surprise to me! My kids are mixed-race, but they have dark brown hair and eyes.

erina320 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by ssheng View Post
    Quick question for you guys - are the kids getting all the photos taken of them only those with light, possibly curly hair and light colored eyes? Just wondering because no one has ever tried to take photos of my kids, touch them or anything like that, and therefore this thread was a surprise to me! My kids are mixed-race, but they have dark brown hair and eyes.
    Yes my children have light curly hair and blue eyes.

carang is offline Registered User
    nope, my kids are mixed. white canadian/local chinese.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by ssheng View Post
    My kids also are mixed - and I noticed earlier in the thread that others who were posting (people I've met IRL) about this situation also have mixed kids.

My older daughter is dark hair and dark eyes (not AS dark as 100% Chinese though) but her skin is very pale like mine. Both of my girls have "big eyes" with "double eyelids" that many Chinese tell me are beautiful characteristics. Westerners don't think twice about eyelids ;)

I was talking to a Chinese friend about why people would take photos of my daughter and not hers who is also gorgeous and 100% Chinese. Personally I don't think that my daughter is THAT different looking - but my friend said that to Chinese, she was very different and has many characteristics (eye shape and skin tone) that Chinese find enviable.

My kids are western looking. One is very tall, one is a blonde and the other one has very big eyes. They've always been photographed, touched, pinched and caressed; ever since I can remember taking them to Ocean Park.
    They used to hate the attention, but they got used to it; and ever since they figured out how to take advantage of it (asking for sweets etc), they loved it.

I'm also a bit unusual in that I'm over 6'5" and hefty. I dont get too many photos in Hong Kong, but whenever I travel into China I get photographed multiple times a day; usually by much smaller people wanting to stand next to me.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast