Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Newly arrived and need advice for apartment search in a baby friendly area

Uta
    Uta is offline Registered User

Newly arrived and need advice for apartment search in a baby friendly area

Hi.
    Has anybody an idea how the best way is finding an apartment in a baby friendly area not too far away from Central? Ideally furnished? My husband starts working in Central on Monday. We are used to big parks and a lot of green and my 9 month old daughter enjoys being outside a lot. We come from Frankfurt/Germany and since I´m not working I am pretty happy to meet other moms with babies in Patricias age. Thanks in advance

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Welcome! Pok Fu Lam is not far from Central but not sure on furnished apartments. You might get one where the landlord has furnished it. Maybe check with a local real estate agent (unless anyone can recommend a furnished place there). Also have heard Manhattan Heights is ok for furnished and serviced apartments. Kennedy Town is not far from Central. There is also a shuttle bus in from Manhattan Heights complex to Central. Its so hot out there at the moment that any apartment block that has a pool and preferably an indoor area would be a plus! Parks are less frequent in HK but can still be found - better when it cools down in Oct onwards.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Uta

Welcome to HK. If you'd like to join our mothersgroup, you are more than welcome to. We are an international group. Bubs are around the same age as yours. There are several German mums in our group if you are feeling homesick. We've helped quite a few mums now settle into HK. Please contact me via PM and I'll send you a link to our FB group page where we announce our meets.

Housing is dependent on your budget. Lots of places that come with greenery has a hefty price tag. Good Luck with house hunting!

Cheers!
    QM

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Gracey is offline Registered User

Uta -- It's like any big city. The further away you get from the center, the more green space. So it's a trade off for inconvenience and a longer commute, and a higher quality of life.
    If you really want green, try Discovery Bay, which is a ferry ride away from Central. It's car-free, kid-friendly and has a beach. But your husband will have to commute.

rooj is offline Registered User

QuasiMother, can I join this Mother's group too?! I've recently returned to Hk after being away for 2 years and my 12 month old son is now part of the package. All my existing HK friends have no kiddies... yet!