Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Newborn Bronchiolitis

appledai is offline Registered User
    I did take her to 3 doctors. but they all ask me to wait for 1-2 weeks. Though it is a huge pain to me, this seems a small case to pediatricians. Sometimes it seems nothing happened when BB slept quietly. but when she was coughing, it is like a sword into my heart. I do not want to take her to the public specially long waiting in the clinic but I will change to another pediatrician. Not sure about public hospital, I had an experience in Eastern hospital, needs to wait several hours.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    unfortunately you are right about the long waits at the Public hospital...i waited 3 hours just to get my son admitted for jaundice, but they are very thorough and the wait is really worth it. my son is still at QMH but not for jaundice any more but a bacterial infection that they detected only from a slight fever, which would have probably gone un-noticed elsewhere. so, wait is long, but well worth it in the long run.

but since you have gotten so many opinions, i think your baby is OK - heart breaking as it is, you will probably just have to wait it out and do things that your baby enjoys or makes him comfortable....taking a bath perhaps so there is more exposure to humidity and the cough is not quite so bad?!? hope you LO feels better soon.

Thanks for your wish. As BB is newborn, no medicine. I let her take bath 2 times a day (2-3 mins) with Johnson's Penaten bath oil though it is for 6 months or above. and run humidity. also use saline nose drop and clean her nose everyday but it is very hard since her nose hole is so small. Besides those things, I do not know what else I can do. Sometimes during her sleeping, no coughing, but other time she can cough more than 10 times within 2 mins so I do not know it is better or worse. Now the only thing I can is to pray.

Quote Originally Posted by lesliefu View Post
    unfortunately you are right about the long waits at the Public hospital...i waited 3 hours just to get my son admitted for jaundice, but they are very thorough and the wait is really worth it. my son is still at QMH but not for jaundice any more but a bacterial infection that they detected only from a slight fever, which would have probably gone un-noticed elsewhere. so, wait is long, but well worth it in the long run.

but since you have gotten so many opinions, i think your baby is OK - heart breaking as it is, you will probably just have to wait it out and do things that your baby enjoys or makes him comfortable....taking a bath perhaps so there is more exposure to humidity and the cough is not quite so bad?!? hope you LO feels better soon.

AudreysMom is offline Registered User
    Is it viral or bacterial? If it is a bacterial infection, the doctor should give antibiotics. But most of the time — because bronchitis is much more likely to be caused by a virus — antibiotics won't help. The condition should improve in a week to ten days. Give plenty of fluids to help relieve congestion / prevent dehydration. Run a cool-mist humidifier. Moistening the air may help her breathe easier. (Be sure to follow the manufacturer's directions for keeping it clean. When dirty, the device can spread germs through the air.) Try saline nasal drops to help with congestion. put a drop or two in the nostril, then suction it out with a bulb syringe. Cold weather, dust, and smoke can irritate airways, so provide a clean, warm, smoke-free room for her to recuperate in. Prop her up while she is resting and sleeping, to make breathing easier. To ease fever and any discomfort, give her the appropriate dose baby acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Never give aspirin. As much as you hate to hear her hacking away, coughing up the mucus helps her heal. I hope your little one heals soon.
    Last edited by AudreysMom; 08-05-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Thank you so much. Actually this very morning, baby was coughing much. I can not count. maybe 50 times. I do not know viral or bacterial. her grandma had a cold and now I also have cold symptom. I wear a mask almost all the time. I guess it might be virus.

But already 6 days. her coughing sometimes bad. I run warm humidifier at night. should I use cold mist one? I know it will be the same, no medicine if hospital. A doctor said do not be afraid her coughing, it will help Sputum out. But when her coughing is much, I am not sure if everything is worse. I am so anxious and worried. I still can not see when she can heal. no idea if should send her hospital.

She is less than 1 month, can her take acetaminophen or ibuprofen?

Quote Originally Posted by AudreysMom View Post
    Is it viral or bacterial? If it is a bacterial infection, the doctor should give antibiotics. But most of the time — because bronchitis is much more likely to be caused by a virus — antibiotics won't help. The condition should improve in a week to ten days. Give plenty of fluids to help relieve congestion / prevent dehydration. Run a cool-mist humidifier. Moistening the air may help her breathe easier. (Be sure to follow the manufacturer's directions for keeping it clean. When dirty, the device can spread germs through the air.) Try saline nasal drops to help with congestion. put a drop or two in the nostril, then suction it out with a bulb syringe. Cold weather, dust, and smoke can irritate airways, so provide a clean, warm, smoke-free room for her to recuperate in. Prop her up while she is resting and sleeping, to make breathing easier. To ease fever and any discomfort, give her the appropriate dose baby acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Never give aspirin. As much as you hate to hear her hacking away, coughing up the mucus helps her heal. I hope your little one heals soon.
    Last edited by appledai; 08-06-2011 at 08:42 AM.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    you really should double check with a doctor to see if it is a virus or bacteria. my baby is only 2 weeks and has a bacterial infection and as such, even at that young age, must go on a course of antibiotics for 2 weeks at QMH. i know we don't want to medicate, but when it is necessary, we really have no choice as you really need to solve the problem or it might become worse or affect other things.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    AppleDai -- I would REALLY not self-medicate such a small baby without doctor's advice. How is it that you've seen so many doctors, and nobody has told you if it's bacterial or viral? Why don't you see a good pediatrician?

AudreysMom is offline Registered User
    AppleDai-- don't self medicate without first getting a doctor's approval. You must go see a good private pediatrician if the public system isn't working fir you.

Warm or cool humidifier- it does not matter much. They essentially do the same thing, humidify the air. For safety, many use cool-mist humidifiers bc hot water or steam from a warm-mist humidifier or steam vaporizer can burn a child if he or she gets too close but yours is a newborn so it's up to you whether you think it's a safety hazard. Its essential for water in a cool humidifier to be kept extremely fresh and clean. If bacteria is contained in the water, it will be pulled into the air. Some say warm humidifier is cleaner bc it vaporizes germs converting water to steam, which then kills any bacteria present.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast