Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

1 Year Wellness Visit

Mom23 is offline Registered User

1 Year Wellness Visit

I took my daughter to the pediatrician (Trained in the UK) today for her one year wellness exam. We called ahead and had an appointment. The pediatrician listened to her heart, checked her spine and said she needed the MMR vaccine. He did not weigh her, check her height, eyes, hearing, reflexes, ask any questions about her development, etc. I even pointed out that our US pediatrician had concerns about her growth. Is this a normal wellness exam for Hong Kong? I was shocked as to how little attention he provided. Also, in the US there are a lot of other vaccinations that a one year old is to receive: HIB, PCV, Varicella, HAV. Can my daughter get those here? I think we will need to look for a different pediatrician. We have QHMS insurance. If you know of any Dr's with that program I'd be grateful for a recommendation. Thanks

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Don't know about your insurance but if you have HKID, you can bring you daughter to the public MCHC clinics. There is longer waits at your first visit, but they seem to be pretty thorough compared to what your doctor did. You go in, baby gets weighed and measured...then you see a nurse where they will ask about baby's development and then explain the vaccinations to you. The only ones not included in the gov't scheme is the Hib, Varicella at 12 months. Those are "optional" and are available at a private doctor. I held off on the MMR til 15months and then got the Hib at 18 months along with the others. I've held off on the chicken pox as well...maybe til she starts school. The first appt can sometimes take 2 hours, but it depends on the location and you usually need to see the doctor as well...however the subsequent ones can be as fast as 30min.

Mom23 is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much for the info. We do have a HKID so that may be the way to go.