Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

workplace putting me into a smaller cubicle

daipaidong is offline Registered User

workplace putting me into a smaller cubicle

Hi there, need some advice from those on this forum. My work place doesn't know I've got a bun in the oven yet but they are making a few of us move into a smaller cubicle space that I'm not happy about. I'd be happy to use my pregnancy as an excuse if I need to. We're currently in a 7.5 ft x 5 ft cube space with an L-shaped desk. Since they want to fit more people into the same space, they are reducing our cubicle sizes to 5ft x 5 ft and we will just have a straight workbench of 30" deep. My seating/walking area is then 30" x 60". Does anyone know if there are restrictions about smaller work environments? We will then be at face to face desks with just a short partition to my front and side. Initially I was placed with a loud colleague in front and behind me though I asked to swap with my colleague so that I could be on one side of the 2 noisy colleagues. However, this now means that my bosses will be approaching me from behind (instead of seeing them before they approach).

I'm wondering what reasons I can give to the boss to see if I can avoid the situation for longer? Any good suggestions? One possible alternative is that I could to be moved into a shared office with my noisy colleague with the original L-shaped desk space and an extra set of drawers. Not sure if this would be better or worse than seated on the open floor.

Appreciate any thoughts.

matemate is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    stop whining and move on.

using pregancy in your favour on such an issue does not help all the other pregnant women who have real needs and require real support.

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    pregnancy should NOT be used in this manner.... this is what gives women a bad name in the workforce...

miran is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    completely agree with matemate and carang. what a ridiculous thought process.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    This is a ridiculous "use" of your pregnancy. In fact, it's manipulative, and unfair to your non-pregnant colleagues. We all ask for equality in the workplace -- so you can't have a double standard and demand special treatment.

Actions like yours just make all other pregnant working moms look bad -- and give companies even more reason to dismiss legitimate concerns.

If you haven't told work yet, you're probably still in early pregnancy. So I don't think this is because of a serious physical or medical problem. (If it is, that's a different matter). You just want more real estate, to get away from a noisy neighbor, or having the boss sneak up on you. These are not pregnancy concerns.

When I got to the end of my time at work, at 8 months, I had some medical issues because of leg cramps and swelling. So I put a stool under my desk for my feet, and got wrist supports, and took more breaks to stretch. I also took 3 days off when I was legitimately ill and was in hospital. But there was a reason.

Sorry, Daipaidong - but it sounds kinda selfish and makes the rest of us pregnant ladies look bad.