Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

QEH Experiences

jodymo is offline Registered User

QEH Experiences

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had experience at QEH? How were the staff/facilities. Is a semi-private option available, or how are the wards? How do they support breasfeeding/natural birth etc?

Thanks,

mariarehman is offline Registered User

Hi Jodymo,

I have had my first one in QEH. And would say the experience was not that bad. the staff was quite co-operative unless it came to the language barrier(most common problem to non-Cantonese speaking ppl in hong kong). There were lectures on breastfeeding and mothers were encouraged to feed babies. As far as natural birth is concerned..im not that sure b'cuz throughout pregnancy I was told that it would be normal delivery, but at that very moment something went wrong nd doctors had to perform a Cesarean on me..it could be because of very long labor which slowed heartbeat of my baby...anyhow i think there are semi-private rooms available, but you have to make a booking some time ahead.
    best of luck

Oh thanks so much for your response. It all seems a bit quiet on the QEH front, so its good to hear not that bad for you. I heard the wards were MASSIVE!!! Is that right? Were there more than about 14 beds per ward?

meimeid is offline Registered User

I haven't given birth at QEH, but when I went there last month to ask for possibilities in a (semi-)private ward, they told me it depends on availability at the moment you check in. So no bookings ahead.

I called them and they said the same, but they also said that aside from the standard room charge, your stay could incur extra medical charges (she was a little hard to understand, but mentioned bloodwork, I think, and some other procedure. She basically said their private a-wards and semi-private b-wards run on the same system, but a is obviously more expensive. She said they take a 60,000 dollar deposit to ensure extra costs are covered. This seemed like a huge jump from the initial 2-3,000 per night room charge, and off-putting. So what did you decide Meimeid?

meimeid is offline Registered User

Hi Jodymo,

As my insurance covers all costs with no limit and I really prefer a private room I decided to go to QMH private clinic instead. They can guarantee one, whereas none of the other public or private hospitals can.
    But all other procedures will indeed be at private cost level, even though it is exactly the same as provided in public wards. Strange system...