Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would we like Tai Tam?

SarahHK is offline Registered User

Would we like Tai Tam?

I've posted previously about moving to HK and finding the right neighborhood and geobaby has been an amazing resource. We like the idea of living on HK island but really liked DB when we visited. I feel a bit schizo with my typical need to be near the action (Mid-levels) and desire to have some peace/quiet, "fresh" air, access to kid-friendly activities. Needless to say we are spoiled by California life where we get both urban access and quiet respite in San Francisco!

So I've been doing more research and am wondering if Tai Tam might be a good fit? Close to water, On HK island, suburb-y, buildings with amenities and grocery (Pacific View, Manhattan, Red Hill), lots of green. What is commuting to Central really like in early AM (7-8am)? Seems there are shuttles to central, stanley and MTR which could mean less reliance on car?

Around there is Repulse Bay of course which is very nice but I fear out of our price range. Also, I felt it was really car reliant and too hilly to walk around?

The things that worry me about DB are reliance on ferry, extra hidden costs, and being so far from the action. Is this unnecessary?

My husband is in HK for two weeks now and will be checking out West mid-levels area around Kotewall Road and Hatton Road (told it's a bit greener but still convenient?) and I'd love to tell him other places to check out. We'd like to be in popular expat areas/buildings to help w homesickness too.

Welcome any further advice and thanks in advance!

banane76 is offline Registered User
    The only thing about Tai Tam that I can see that it would be easier with a car. Otherwise, you are relying on taxis and buses and sometimes traffic can be killer going out there because it's only one lane for each direction.

miran is offline Registered User
    Going up Midlevels or towards East would also be good. Keneddy Road, Bowen Road, Magazine Gap Rd etc etc

carang is offline Registered User
    really, tai tam would be at LEAST a 30 minute drive to central, longer at rush hour.

DB is a 30 minute ferry ride to central, irrespective of time of day.

personally, i think that for the $ in tai tam, i would prefer DB.

Jeremy Clarkson is offline Registered User
    I live in Tai Tam and very happy with the compromise environment vs closeness to central. I can tell you that a Taxi to central before 7.00am will take 20 mins. However as soon as you hit 7.15, it is not the traffic but the actual availability of taxis as they all seem to end up at HKIS!! However you can drive or book a taxi. We do have a car and that suits us just fine as it means that we can easily access Big Wave Bay etc with our three children. If you are in Park view then you are very close to central but it is not really tai tam in the sense of being near stanley and is right at the far end of Tai Tam Park . Manhattan is the staple expat diet and the ultimate compromise of value, facilities and space. We have been here for three years.

JC

carang is offline Registered User
    i cannot imagine a taxi ride from redhill taking only 20 minutes. i like to drive fast, but i would be very hard-pressed to make it to central in 20 minutes from there, no matter the time of day.

Claire27 is offline Registered User
    I live in Tai Tam and you can get to central in 20 minutes. Even without driving fast.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    I have a colleague who lives in Tai Tam - she drives to work (Central) and says it's about 20 minutes early in the morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top