Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Seeking a helper to start in next month or so

elle is offline Registered User
    Your friend was passing on a fairly common racial stereotype (which I have not found there to be any truth to). there seems to be a mistaken belief that Indonesian helpers are more "compliant", more willing to work crazy long hours, more willing to work for lower wages, less likely to be troublesome, accept abuse, etc as they have a smaller social network in HK, and less resources to deal with bad employment situations. I've had some acquaintances who think that their Filipino helpers are dishonest or untrustworthy and use their larger networks in HK to game the system as much as possible. However, I've found the exact opposite to be true with my (Filipino) helper - she is honest, hard working, willing to learn new things and adapt, and kind - as are many helpers of various nationalities that I have met. The bottom line with domestic helpers, as with all employees, is you need to find the right PERSON that meets your needs. Experience, past employment and education are relevant, race, not so much, or at least I don't think it is.

Cumulo-nimbus is offline Registered User
    thanks Elle, that helps shed light on the situation!

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Elle is right. Those are just stereotypes, and not great ones at that. (Since when was the ability to take bad treatment considered a good thing?)
    There are some nationalities let in on domestic helper visas -- Filipinas, Indonesians and Thais, for example. I find that the Filipinas (mostly) and some Thais are more common among expat families. The Indonesians speak some Cantonese, so are more popular among local families. But those are broad distinctions, and it's most important that you find the woman best for you.
    The difference -- to answer your first question -- is that Mandarin-speaking Mainland Chinese are not here on DH visas, so they are totally a different kettle of fish.

wjazzw is offline Registered User
    I can understand your urgency to have a new helper.
    But be careful when those ready ones being terminated, especially if they don't go back to the last agent they got the job!

I just fire my helper this morning, cuz I found her hit my kids. Even a kid big as 5 yrs old, will be afraid to voice it out if there're time they need to be alone with helper. I saw similar case in different forums when I found this problem.
    Last edited by rani; 08-28-2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: pls no helper names

Zazi is offline Registered User
    How did you get on? I just saw your post and you seem to have been in the same position I am right now. My husband and I (I'm French, he's Australian) just moved to HK from NY, and we are now also living in mid-levels. i am due in 10 weeks and I would like to get a helper fairly soon. Any advice would be soooo greatly appreciated.

Cumulo-nimbus is offline Registered User
    Zazi - we got on great actually - I PM'd you with details.

doe eyes is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Cumulo-nimbus View Post
    Zazi - we got on great actually - I PM'd you with details.
    Hi Cumulo- nimbus , my helper's contract is finishing and I am
    In a hurry to employ another helper. Just have a little over a month ... Could you also let me know what options did u choose from ... Thanks so much !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12