Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

BCG / tuberculosis shot - how to minimize scarring?

adelaidejax is offline Registered User
    do not pick it or touch it, just let it heal by itself.
    i caught my 'experienced' pui yuet picking it - my son now has a scar from her actions.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    don't touch it and keep it dry - don't pick at it ever! the scar is minimal not something to worry about - i worried so for my 1st daughter i had it done on her bikini line instead of her arm...of course you have to get that done by the private doctor though.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    My daughter's had SO much pus that it would soak onto her clothing and get it dirty. It would go in cycles so sometimes it would be fine, other times it would just "pop" (by itself, I never touched it). After the first time, what I did was I stuck a non-stick bandage on her arm, an actual square piece of the bandage, not a band-aid, and I would fasten it just with two sides so that it had plenty of air-flow. For her bad reaction, this was a MUST because the first couple of times, it would pop onto her clothes and then dry and then get stuck, so to take her clothes off, we kind of had to rip the new scab off (disgusting, I know!!!). The non-stick bandage really helped because it could keep the area drier and also it really DIDN'T stick (unlike clothing) so it was easier to remove. There was once or twice that it was mildly stuck (not as bad as the clothes though!!) and I just put her in the bath with the bandage on and took it off when it was wet instead. It was much better...

That is only necessary if your daughter has a bigger reaction to the vaccine - my first daughter, I never noticed pus getting anywhere! But I do recommend it if she has a big reaction...

AudreysMom is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the recommendations all. Spoke with a doctor friend. She said 70% won't get a scar or it's barely noticeable. Depending on genes and environment some could get a hypertropic or keloid scar (ugly scars)... Best thing is prevention of an ugly scar by not letting it get infected... She recommends keeping it covered so little one can't pick it and I could let her wear an arm band around the wound to give a little pressure. She said pressure can prevent keloids from scarring. hmm interesting.

AudreysMom is offline Registered User
    Thanks nicolejoy for sharing. I hope my daughter has a mild reaction!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12