Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BCG / tuberculosis shot - how to minimize scarring?

AudreysMom is offline Registered User

BCG / tuberculosis shot - how to minimize scarring?

My daughter recieved tbe BCG vaccine (protecting against tuberculosis). I hear that the inoculation can leave a significant scar on her arm.
    It's been 6 weeks since she got the vaccine and it's very
    hard and red/purple right now. Perhaps this is silly, but
    bc I am from the US, and do not have it, i feel so sad that
    my daughter will have the scar. Any way to minimize the scarring? Anyone know of dermatologists or plastic surgeons successful in removing the scar after it's formed? *Thanks in advance. *
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

carang is offline Registered User
    yes, it leaves a scar. no, it's not a big deal. both of my kids have it. it really isn't such a big thing. i, personally, think there are many other more important things than a small (smaller than a dime) scar on their arm. (i'm from canada and don't have one either.)

AmyH is offline Registered User
    My daughter had her BCG and the scar/scab looked like you describe for a while but she is almost 2 now and it looks like a small dimple on her upper arm. As Carang says, I wouldn't worry about it. I would rather she had a small scar than have to fight TB.

AudreysMom is offline Registered User
    Yes I agree that the benefits of having the the vaccine far outweigh the scarring (obviously) but my question is whether any parent has been successful in minimizing or reducing the scarring. Any helpful info is appreciated.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    Not all children scar with it though. It may be better to assess it in a few months when the red/purple blotch has gone and you can see what is left. As I said, my daughter's just looks like an indentation in her arm, more like a tiny pin prick.

rebekah is offline Registered User
    my daughter got hers in the thigh, and the scarring seemed really awful for a long time. she's 3 now and I have to look for it. I was worried too. I hope you have the same experience as we did.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    My older daughter is 2 and we didn't do anything to it and it didn't scar at all. The reaction was minimal.

My younger daughter is 1 and had a very big reaction that took months to subside and it is only now fading - but even with THAT, I think the final scar will only be maximum 2mm across!! Such a huge reaction, I was expecting the scar to be more like the size of a dime, but it's tiny...

I worried about it before I had kids and considered getting it done in their legs by a private doctor instead (the public ones will ONLY do it in the arm) but really the scar is SO tiny...

If you are really worried about it though, there are scar creams etc that I guess you could put on it, but I would wait until it is COMPLETELY dry and no more redness otherwise you may just be keeping it moist and making the scarring worse. I think that plastic surgery isn't necessary, even in the quite bad reactions...

carang is offline Registered User
    yes, you CANNOT put anything on it now.... all of the doctors will tell you that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast