Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

10 month yr old sleep habits - help!

southside852 is offline Registered User

10 month yr old sleep habits - help!

From birth-6 months, my son had the perfect sleep habits. He slept in his crib in his own room without being rocked or being nursed. His habits naturally followed the gina ford routine so we just stuck with it. Bed at 7:30pm and up at 7am - amazing considering our first son's sleeping habits were a total nightmare since birth.

Now my son is 10 months old and this last month has been miserable. His day naps are fine (9am-10am, 1:30pm-3:30/4pm). He cries for about 2 minutes, then is out like a light. But bedtime is a totally different story. He We put him to bed at 8:30pm, cries for no more than 5 minutes then sleeps. The rest of the night looks like this:

1am wakeup - cries hysterically, sitting up, we changed diaper, give pacifier, if teething we give him teething pill etc...he can cry on and off for an hour.

3:30/4am wake up - cries for about 30 minutes before we then bring to our bed

6:30/7am wake up in our bed :(

When I go to pick him up, he stops crying and wants to be put in our bed. When we put him into our bed, he immediately falls asleep again. This is so strange b/c for the first 7 months he never slept in our bed as we were very conscious to not start that habit.

How do we break this habit? CIO the only solution? the walking in and shushing method doesn't really work with him bc he thinks it's playtime? Anyone have an experience with this type of situation? We let my first one CIO at 26 months when he transitioned to a big bed.....would love some suggestions!

erina320 is offline Registered User

Me too! I'm in the same boat with my 7 month old.

Slept great in her own bed until she started teething now it seems the only cure is to sleep in Mommy's bed... :-/ Would love to know what you come up with. I can't stand the CIO method!

carey is offline Registered User

I know CIO is not for everyone. There are some great info available in this forum from the baby center.

http://community.babycenter.com/post...30889982&pd=13

Perhahs he is gong through a phrase that will pass in a week or so? Good luck.

carey is offline Registered User

Rereading your post, it reminds me a bit of our first son at certain time. Does it work if you put him back to his own bed after he falls asleep in your bed?

busybees is offline Registered User

My son is 1 year old, we had the same situation when he was teething, crying in the middle of night, screaming and i had to bring him to sleep with me the same bed pacifier him, then take him to his own crib when he falls asleep. He was fine after his teething was disappeared and now he is a happy boy sleeping in his own crib.

southside852 is offline Registered User

oh good...don't remember teething being this bad w/my first....am crossing my finger that this is a phase...it's been about a month, but we see 2 more teeth putting pressure on his gums....we've resorted to giving him camilia and bringing him to our bed as he immediately falls right back to sleep. thxs everyone!

matrix1 is offline Registered User

we have exactly the same problem; actually our baby (10m now) has always slept in our bed (culture in my country) .. but basically she slept practically all night through from 1m- 7m of age... but last 2 months while her teeth are coming through... she wakes up every 1 hr or 30 mins all night and cries out, only breast milk will shut her up. Its terrible.

matrix1 is offline Registered User

still our 10m old baby is no better... we had one night where she slept on her back all night and slept through the night 90%.
    But that was a few days ago and now she is back to waking up every hr! ;(