Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DisneyLand & Ocean Park Activities with Small Children

uhha64 is offline Registered User

DisneyLand & Ocean Park Activities with Small Children

Hi All,

I have a 4.5 and 2.5 yrs old. We're planning visiting both Disney & Ocean park next week. Need your advice to make the best of these two, hopefully wonderful days ))

*There so much to do at both places, any suggestions what are the best activities with little ones based on your experience?
    *Is there a quite place a 2.5 yrs old will be able to take a nap in the stroller?
    *Is it possible to re-enter the parks on the same day (go to take a nap at home and come bck)
    *Will 4.5 yr old be allowed to the rollercoasters?
    *Is a weekday significantly more crowded than the weekend? THANKS A LOT!

carang is offline Registered User

1) it will be INCREDIBLY HOT AND UNCOMFORTABLE.... you will spend about $300 on WATER alone!
    2) it is summer holidays.... unlikely that it will be "less busy"
    3) best thing to do at OP is to head to the top first and then come back down and finish in the kid's world area
    4) disney.... just walk around and decide what you want to do....
    5) i think that you can ask for a stamp on your hand in order to get back in, but really... you would travel for 30-40 minutes to get home for a nap and then back again? you're crazy!

either just let your kid sleep in the stroller or head out for when it opens and then head home at nap time. your child is 2.5, not a baby, he/she may not even want to take a nap, they'll be too excited.

but honestly, being out in this heat is crazy! i took my kids to disney in september once... vowed NEVER again... now both places are off of our 'to do' list from april 15-october 15 at least.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I went to Disney last week with my 2.5 year old and 1 year old and it was incredibly hot and busy (on weekdays) - HOWEVER it was still fun and I'm glad we went. And we didn't spent $300 on water (at Disney the bottles are $20, a ridiculous mark up, I know - but still, that would have to be 15 bottles of water!! Plus for the kids, I just brought their own water bottles so I only paid for water for myself and my husband.)

My 2.5 year old hasn't napped for a long time, however when she gets worn out, she does just sleep in the stroller anywhere. I wouldn't be heading home for a nap, but you are able to leave the park and go back in. At Disney, we were staying at the hotel and so we did actually do that - we went back to the hotel for a swim around 3pm and then came back around 6pm for a few last rides before the fireworks.

4.5 years old would be allowed on some but not all. You can check the height limits for the rides on the website, I'm sure. Disney doesn't have any big rollercoasters yet and he'd probably be able to go on everything except Space Mountain.

At Disney, we spent a lot of time at the shows and indoor rides (it's a small world) where it was air conditioned. Much more bearable in this heat! Some of my daughter's favourite rides (both indoor and out)

- some of the flying ones like the orbitron
    - It's a small world
    - Mickey's Philharmonic (show)
    - Lion King (show)
    - carousel
    - Stitch encounter (show)
    - teacups
    - winnie the pooh

Personally I prefer Disney than OP for kids that age, and we've taken the girls there much more frequently, even though OP is much closer to us. I don't know OP as well so can't give you recommendations there.

carang is offline Registered User

i've always enjoyed OP more than disney, myself....much more to do!

and yes, we did spend $300 on water....there were 4 of us and we drank a LOT of water.

penguinsix is offline Registered User

Can I also just chime in on the 'hot hot hot' meme? It is quite hot out there so be forewarned.

We usually start at Small World primarily because it isn't as crowded and is air conditioned. We then head back toward the 'rear' train station where there is a 'photo area' filled with Mickey, Pluto, Goofy, etc. The lines here seem to be much shorter than the ones near the characters at the front of the park.

We took the boys on the Jungle Ride but the ending (volcano pit) was a bit scary for them. I guess I'd just emphasize water, a/c breaks, and planning for hot weather. I think you'll be so wiped out from the walk to and from the park from the MTR and the hike around the park that the idea of coming back after a nap will quickly fade from memory.

Biggie is offline Registered User

There are water fountains in Disney where you can refill your water bottle instead of buying new ones.
    I am planning to take my 2.5 yr old to Disney before school starts to catch McQueen and Mater. Hoping it might be a little less crowded with some international schools already started.
    Posted via Mobile Device

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned

I go to Ocean Park regularly with 4.5 year old and 2 year old (have annual pass) and their favourite bit is the kids world on the lower level with a carousel, jumping castle, mini frog hopper, mini train etc and a playground, climbing wall (suitable for their age group). If you go there first up it is always really quiet - we went there CNY on the day of highest ever attendees - what were we thinking - and there was hardly anyone there until 11ish. The aquarium is closest to the entrance so tends to be where everyone goes first and is a bit disappointing for the kids as the viewing points are quite small and if it is crowded it is very hard for them to see, but it is a good escape from the heat. They also love the pandas (giant and red) and that is nice and cool also plus you get to see the otters and goldfish.

Up the top there is the viewing platform and sea jellies for the kids, but most of the good stuff for them is down the bottom and can easily take up the morning. If the queue for the cable car is too big you can use the train instead, we normally go up on the cable car and come down on the train (no queue and much quicker when they are tired).
    The 4.5 yr old won't be able to go on the roller coasters (which are all in the top section) due to height restrictions - ours can go on the water ride (old one) but not the new one by the train. And the old one is a huge trek for essentially one ride as all the others over that side are no good for the kids.

I agree with others re nap, if we stay that long the 2 year old would just nap in the pram, but he never has as too exciting, even though he would normally have a 1-2 hr sleep at home.

I think everyone has covered Disney pretty well, but do agree with PenguinSix comments about the walk in and out and returning. At OP now they have opened the new entrance it is much more of a walk than it used to be too, but you can get a return stamp if you want.

uhha64 is offline Registered User

Dear All!

thank you for the wonderful and so helpful comments! All taken into consideration and we're looking forward to the visit to both places!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast