Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

BCG vaccine, yes or no?

titti is offline Registered User

BCG vaccine, yes or no?

Hi,
    I am looking for some advice on BCG vaccine. My husband and I have just moved to HK from USA with our 2 years old son. We are debating if it is better to vaccinate our little one or not. We may or may not move back to the States. Has someone done some research on this matter?
    Thank you
    Titti

carang is offline Registered User
    TB is widely suffered in HK and in china. there is NO WAY that i would live in this part of asia and not vaccinate my kids.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    TB is definitely very prevalent in China...especially worrying is the prevalence of a drug-resistant strain which is effectively difficult to treat. An ounce of prevention can go a long way in this case.

Here is a useful link: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/.../en/index.html

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    My children are fully vaxed but we didn't get BCG (so they're not 100% vaxed by HK standards but they are by US/European standards). They were born in the States and we came here when my oldest was just over 4 and the twins were 20 months. Even here, they told me it wouldn't be much use for my oldest (the vax is modest protective anyway), however they did recommend it for the twins, but it was my decision. I spoke to my (famous) pediatrician in the States and he referred me to a good friend who lived in HK for a long time (HK native) and she said she wouldn't unless I would live in a super dense part of HK where TB would be more prevalent, but even then ...
    Last edited by MommyTo3; 08-17-2011 at 08:45 PM.

carang is offline Registered User
    sorry, but ALL of hk is super dense. a part of hk where TB would be more prevalent? what does that mean? that someone on the peak is immune?
    Last edited by carang; 08-17-2011 at 09:03 PM.

miran is offline Registered User
    Yes, I woudl get it if I were you in your place titti since your son is so young. Also, the vaccine has been around for ages so the known side effects are quite low. Some information here:

http://www.who.int/biologicals/areas/vaccines/bcg/en/

elle is offline Registered User
    I would speak with your US and HK pediatricians and get BOTH their views on the pros and cons, as it is not a standard vaccination in the US. If your child does have the TB vaccine and you do move back to the US, your child will have a positive result on any TB skin test he/she takes, which are required for a large number of jobs in the US, including all jobs relating to food and healthcare. As the skin test will be positive because of antibodies from the vaccine, some states will require a chest x-ray before clearing him/her to work. Its not a huge deal, but is an additional factor to consider. I know US parents here who have and have not chosen to have their children TB vaccinated.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by MommyTo3 View Post
    I spoke to my (famous) pediatrician in the States and he referred me to a good friend who lived in HK for a long time (HK native) and she said she wouldn't unless I would live in a super dense part of HK where TB would be more prevalent, but even then ...
    This has to be one of the stupidest things I've heard since the MMR frauds.
    TB does not know boundaries, it travels freely between countries and neighborhoods.
    Unless you are willing to keep your child in a bubble, your child has a fair chance of exposure to TB when living in Asia, *all* of Asia.

Dont let your child become part of a statistic:
    http://www.chp.gov.hk/en/data/4/10/26/43/458.html

Quote Originally Posted by elle View Post
    I would speak with your US and HK pediatricians and get BOTH their views on the pros and cons, as it is not a standard vaccination in the US.
    I'm from Zimbabwe, its not a standard vaccination in Zimbabwe therefore I should check with my Zimbabwean doctor.
    She is from Kiribati, its not a standard vaccination in Kiribati therefore she should check with her Kiribatian doctor.
    Do you see how ridiculous that sounds?
    TB is prevalent in this part of the world, it makes no difference how prevalent it is on the other side of the world as we all happen to live *here*.

If your child does have the TB vaccine and you do move back to the US, your child will have a positive result on any TB skin test he/she takes...some states will require a chest x-ray before clearing him/her to work. Its not a huge deal, but is an additional factor to consider.
    Choice 1 : possible death from TB, here, where I live today
    Choice 2 : possible chest xray due to false positive test somewhere else where I might live in the future
    I know what I would choose for myself and my kids.

I know US parents here who have and have not chosen to have their children TB vaccinated.
    They must be taking advice from friends of famous doctors who believe TB doesnt know how to travel between neighborhoods.
    *boggle* *sheesh*

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast