Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

TB vaccine

erina320 is offline Registered User

TB vaccine

At what age do children receive their TB vaccines here?

We're thinking of traveling in China with our 7month old and 3year old and I was wondering if they need their vaccines before they go? They also recommend a rabies vaccine, but I was wondering if that was necessary?

pipinhk is offline Registered User
    In the UK where we're from the BCG or TB is given from 1 month from memory. My daughter had it at 9 months and I had it at 34 years, neither of us had any side effects other than the small scar you see so many people with. It was the first thing we did when we found out we were moving to HK as TB is very common here.

Thank you.

I think I'd feel better if we all had our vaccines.

carang is offline Registered User
    in the public hospitals, they give it before you leave the hospital after birth.

RileyC is offline Registered User
    Regarding the scar that often results from the BCG jab, I had my vaccination done at birth before I left the hospital with my Mum. It left a tiny scar on my upper arm. Personally it doesn't bother me and it's not really visible to others unless you look very closely. However, I noticed that some of my other friends who had the jab done at birth had slightly bigger scars.

If you're worried about the scarring, you can ask for the jab to be administered in the hip or the sole of the foot. But please double check with your doctor.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    you are right RileyC - the BCG can be administered elsewhere (one of my daughter's has it on her butt cheek, my son on his hip, and my 2nd daughter on her arm). the scaring is not incredibly visable but you have to make sure it does not get infected or else the scarring can get bad (they say) - just keep it dry and don't touch it even when you REALLY REALLY want to!

Thank you for the advice.

I am not overly concerned about the scarring from the BCG vaccine as I feel that is minimal compared to the risks of not getting it. I was just wondering if it was one of those vaccines you had to wait to get or if my 8 month old could get it.

We have an appointment tomorrow to get both girls vaccinated and I think I'll ask about getting mine as well as I've never had it either.

The vaccine I was wondering about being necessary was the rabies vaccine.