Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Esf

zhumgg is offline Registered User
    Thanks TheQuasimother. I plan to submit the centralise application in Sept. I called my targeted ESF and they told me I just need to put the area I intend to live in the application. And if I get the interview in Jan, I will need to have an exact address by then and need to provide address prove. I plan to fly back for the interview. My difficulty is to have an exact address by Jan before I move back in June. Does that means I have to pay rent for several months without living there???.....any other choice??....

I was trying to read as much information/comment as I can on different ESF and then choose to live in the region which feed to my preferred ESF. This is what I meant my choice of school.

I have a HKID as I was born in HK. When I called different ESF schools to get information. Seems like they gave me different information. One of the preferred ESF said they dont need either parent to have HKID, they just need a visa. Another one said either one of the parents must have a HKID. Actually, this make more sense to me as ESF is subsidized by the HK govt and they shouldnt only subsidise PR (HKID with 3 stars), not any other just a HKID after staying in HK for a short period of time.

I didnt read much about the private indepent school under ESF as I thought they are much more expensive?? Is that really compared with other private interantional school outside of ESF?? I have to start thinking what other 2 international school I have to apply as a forth back. Any idea of a good international school which is not too expensive.....?? I came back to HK in May this year and toured several international schools. American international school is definitely NOT my cup of tea. I like Canadian international school but they are very expensive. Corporate debenture is not our option...sigh....What heard something good and bad about Yew Chung. Is that really they have a lot of mainland chinese in the school which lower the student quality?? Heard from a friend whose kids studying there and their mainland classmates and parents are very rude....not sure if I want my kid study with people in this behaviour. Not sure if any of you have any comment on Yew Chung though....

Any more comment and advice is much appreciated...

carang is offline Registered User
    No, they ONLY need a visa. the problem is your use of the term "HKID"... EVERYONE has that. they must have it by law.... what you are referring to is a PERMANENT HKID, as in the holder is a permanent resident of hk.

in order to apply for school, parents must have a HKID but not a PERMANENT HKID.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    If you are Chinese, and may or may not be Cantonese speaking, with a permanent HKID, your child would automatically be placed in Cat. 2 so priority for an ESF school and chances are slim. It doesn't matter that your child doesn't speak Cantonese. Beacon Hill is probably your best bet as it is the least subscribed. Everyone I know who did not attend an ESF school and even in Cat. 2 got in.

PIS is more expensive by a little over $1000 and in the future, you'll have to pay a one off capital levy (Renaissance College) or a yearly capital levy (Discovery College). As a permanent HKID card holder, you're more likely to get into a PIS than an ESF as there there is a rule mandated by the Education Board (EDB) that 70% of students at a PIS must be a permanent resident of HK.
    zhumgg likes this.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Thanks for the very useful info. May I ask the following:

1. I have HKID with 3 stars (permanent ID) and US green card and my hubby is native American. My kid never live in HK and cannot speak cantonese. According to the difinition on-line, we should be in category 1?? I should just use my hubby's HKID to apply instead of mine??

2. Why Beacon Hill is normally undersubscribed?? Any reason behind it?? I visited it in May too and the school is a little old and small. Quarry Bay school is much bigger and new. I only visited these 2 ESF so have no ideas of the others

3. When you say PIS, are you referrring to ONLY the private schools within the ESF system?? What is the quality of the ESF private school compared with other international school like Canadian international school??

Thanks for any advice

emma_mama44 is offline Registered User
    Try the overseas application which requires your address proof in the States.

The Central application usually starts on 1st Sept and finishs by 30th Sept each year.

Live on the Island side as the competition on the Kowloon side and New Territories side are super-keen! My fd returned from the States with her boy born and raise there, the application was turned down by the Kowloon Junior (ie not even a chance of interview!). The choice of ESF school is based on where u live, ie catchment area (except for the 2 private independent schools). Good Luck :)

Hey, the very hungry caterpillar is still very popular in the ESF interview :)

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    There were more than one family whereby one parent is Chinese and the other is non-Chinese (in my child's cohort). The child was always categorised as Category 2.

It has to do with catchment areas. Kowloon Junior includes catchment areas where there are LOTS of expats, specifically Category 1 expats. KJS is terribly hard to get into. Beacon Hill on the other hand, not so much. And, it isn't a through school (as I've been told). Re-application for high school places apply. I know parents who chose RC over Beacon Hill because they do not want to go through the application process later for high school. I don't know about how over-subscribed schools on the Island are as we live over on the Kowloon/N.T. side.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Wow, I heard the opposite thing. We were asked to avoid the Island side as competition is keen while choose to live in Kowloon or NT!!! I am not sure about overseas application niether as it seems that our presence in HK is very important. I will call different ESF to clarify whether we are in Category 1 or 2. Thanks for all the comments :)

Thanks Quasimother again. If you dont mind, I may send message to you if I have more questions. Have a good night :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Scroll to top