Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Esf

zhumgg is offline Registered User

Esf

Dear all,

I am from the US and plan to enroll my kid to ESF for P1 for 2012. We are now still in the US and will return in June next year. I heard that there is a central application which they allocate the kids to school according to where you live. As we havent decided where to live yet, may I ask the following:

1. Which ESF is the best in HK??
    2. Anyone can give some comment on Quarry Bay school and Beacon Hill school??
    3. How difficult is the written test and its normal content??
    4. Anyone can share anything about interview process?? How long is it??
    5. I am not sure if a certain school will be more competitive (more difficult/easy to get in) than the others within ESF system. Any comment??
    6. Any sharing or advice on how to maximise the chance of getting into ESF??
    7. Does either parent MUST have HKID to enroll the kid to ESF as this is government subsidised??

Thanks so much in advance for any info.

carang is offline Registered User
    to answer some of your questions:

1) they are all more or less the same. there is no "best" esf school. they are ALL VERY VERY VERY oversubscribed. it will not be a matter of YOU choosing the school... it's more a matter of which school has space.
    2) see above
    3) if your child is a native english speaker, there shouldn't be any problems
    4)
    5)see above
    6) no, there is no way to "maximise" your chances. i've heard that some of the schools are so full they are even having a difficult time accepting all of the siblings that want to go to the same school
    7) EVERYONE who lives in hk for more than 180 days MUST apply for a HKID, so that is a moot point, really. once you are here, you MUST apply within 30 days for your HKID, so it should be one of the first things you do after you get off the plane.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    To add onto to carang's comments. Places are very hard to get into this year - it is best to apply to maybe 4+ schools especially for P1 places.

For ESF, you can look at buying a corporate surety which means you do not have to have chosen where you live just indicate where - see below info and link. This has to be submitted by the company that is bringing you over but it puts you on the list now instead of having to wait until you arrive.

The interview was not as hard as some schools I have heard about where they have to sit a written test. They just read a book with the child and discussed it - it takes about half an hour. At least that was the case 12 months ago.

Good luck.

http://www.esf.edu.hk/admission
    ESF introduced a new Corporate Surety scheme in 2007 to enable companies to secure school places for expatriate employees before their arrival in Hong Kong over the summer months. The scheme runs from 1 January to 30 June of each year. There are limited surety places. The surety scheme will be open in January 2011 for application for August 2011 admissions. The surety scheme is currently not applicable for the ESF private Independent Schools or Kindergartens. Please click HERE for the application form. For queries, please email [email protected].

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Any legacy priority for esf if either of the parent is an alumni?

Neha is offline Banned
    Obiwan yes as far as I know thru some friends

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    Any legacy priority for esf if either of the parent is an alumni?
    Yes, the esf application includes a section for you to add older siblings info if they are in esf and parents info if the are ex students.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Thank you!!

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    You need a proof of address to apply to allocate catchment school. Are you aware of this? AND, you will need to submit your HKID copy of at least one parent.

Apply to all under the ESF umbrella:
    - one ESF application (centralised)
    - Discovery College (Private Independent School under the ESF umbrella, the difference is in funding therefore fees)
    - Renaissance College (See note above)

So you need to submit 3 applications. Your child HAS to be here for interviews. ESF will not allocate a place for P1 without passing an interview. Unlike other schools, for ESF, you stand virtually no chance if you aren't here!
    Last edited by TheQuasimother; 08-19-2011 at 11:28 PM.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Scroll to top