Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Where to buy a kitten?

missidealiste is offline Registered User
    Please adopt one. Save a life

RileyC is offline Registered User
    Yes, please consider adopting your new pet from the SPCA. You are more likely to end up with a healthy animal than if you buy your pet from a pet shop
    Posted via Mobile Device

Gracey is offline Registered User
    There are a few small, home-run breeders here who have purebreds and seem to be responsible and reputable.
    Try www.autumnleafcattery.com or http://www.silencedryad-cattery.net/mainpg_eng.htm
    Since they are small-scale operations, do contact them in advance. Unlike a "kitten mill", they won't have an endless supply. You will have to wait for the mommy cats to give birth and care for the kittens properly. Though you have months to go till Christmas.
    Either use a proper breeder, or adopt from the SPCA, etc. Don't go the middle route and buy from a pet store. You'll be contributing to a cruel practice, and you may very well end up with a sickly animal.
    By the way, we've had British shorthairs in the past, and they are lovely.

erina320 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracey View Post
    There are a few small, home-run breeders here who have purebreds and seem to be responsible and reputable.
    Try www.autumnleafcattery.com or http://www.silencedryad-cattery.net/mainpg_eng.htm
    Since they are small-scale operations, do contact them in advance. Unlike a "kitten mill", they won't have an endless supply. You will have to wait for the mommy cats to give birth and care for the kittens properly. Though you have months to go till Christmas.
    Either use a proper breeder, or adopt from the SPCA, etc. Don't go the middle route and buy from a pet store. You'll be contributing to a cruel practice, and you may very well end up with a sickly animal.
    By the way, we've had British shorthairs in the past, and they are lovely.
    Thank you Gracey. I really appreciate your input and this was the kind of information I was looking for.

I would never buy a pet from a pet store! Not even in the states.

That being said, I have had REALLY negative experiences adopting pets from the Humane Society as well. That is why I would like to purchase a kitten and reading about the British shorthair cat they sound like an ideal animal for our family. Calm, unobtrusive, friendly. I would also like to start with a kitten so that it grows up accustomed to our children.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scroll to top