Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Two kids without helper?

AmyH is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Baby View Post
    Also, why don't people let me pay their helper to watch my girl too while we go do something?
    As far as I know, this would be illegal as the helper is only supposed to work for the family they are hired by so this may be why they do not offer! There is rentamum, who offer babysitting service and they send people to your home to look after the children if you need to go out during the day or in the evening. There is a website where you can enquire about prices etc.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Baby View Post
    I also think it is amazing more moms don't want to do more with their kids.
    This has not been something I have experienced here at all. My son has a group of friends and we all meet up (mums) to watch them play football, swim, tennis etc and my daughter has a few friends also where we all do things together also.

It can be very hard here without a helper and there are some days that I wish I would just hire one (these days are when the kids are sick, or I am sick etc). I think it is a bit unfair to say that mums who have a helper do not want to spend time with the kids. Sometimes it is just easier to do things without them! I hate having to get public transport to central with the two kids, buggy, bags etc and going in to shops where the aisles are not that wide and my daughter is pulling everything off shelves! It can be a nightmare so sometimes it is easier to do it on a weekend where my husband will either come with us or he will take the kids out so I can have some time alone. If I had a helper it would be easier to do these thing during te week so weekends could be spent as a family (not shopping!)

Coco Baby is offline Registered User

When I said 'do more' I meant everyday things like grocery shopping, riding the bus, going to coffee, clothes shopping, riding the MTR. I remember loving doing these things with my mom, and it is so much better for me with my little one along. I totally get 'quality of time' and when I am shopping & trying to get my little one to sit still in her seat my friends are doing fun things with their kids and their helpers are shopping. No right/wrong or one better than the other, I am just surprised not to see more moms/kids out doing these things together.

Of course we do all the playgroups, sports, and fun things with moms and kids! And I know what is legal and not legal(!!!)

carang is offline Registered User

i do take my kids shopping, but i prefer to take the time and do it myself with the helper at home taking care of them. i can take my time, enjoy it and get everything we need instead of having to listen to "mummy can we buy.... mummy can we get.. but why can't you buy...."

just because you don't see mummies out there doesn't mean they don't exist. my kids go out to yum cha, but we aren't big "starbucks" people, so you wouldn't see my kids and i in there....perhaps you are looking in the wrong places?

southside852 is offline Registered User

agree with carang and others posting about doing things with their little ones and having time by theirselves while their helper watches one or both kids. like carang, i usually do 1 big shopping run by myself to get things for the week etc...i love doing it. we of course, go to the market almost every other day so i sometimes bring my older or my younger or both with my helper. like those mentioned above, there's no right answer here. everyone has their different opinions about having a helper. there are pros and cons, but we can only speak from personal experience. for us, we have LOVED having our helper. it helps us spend quality time with each child, with both and gives us a chance to do things just as husband and wife. i like to take my kids to the first few classes, then my helper will take the next fews and i'll take them to the last couple . it's important to think about how you want to use your helper - just for cleaning? taking care of the kids? etc....for us, our helper is like part of the family and we would not want it any other way.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

yes - would agree with carang and southside852. as a mommy of 3 i can't imagine not being able to just pick up and leave my house to run errands, knowing that my kids are in the care of my helpers in the couple hours that i'd be gone. depending on where i run errands i might take my 15mth old with me, say to the post office or the supermarket, however, if i were to go to the bank, it's great to be able to get the finances done without worrying about my kid running around or throwing a tantrum because the queue is too long. anyhow, for me, i'm just thankful i can afford one and that she is good with my kids...otherwise i'd probably get an overkill of parent-child time! :) for me...i need that time away to recuperate!

brisbanegirl is offline Registered User

Hi there! I'm on the other end of the spectrum, but I understand entirely. I'm now 17 years old, my sister 4 years younger than me, and we were both born and raised in Hong Kong without helpers (almost entirely unheard of!). Especially as I'm Eurasian (local mother and Australian dad) and both my parents worked. Lets just say there are plenty of everyday things such as washing up and laundry that I can do that are considered 'skills' by my classmates! If you are still looking for a sitter, I'm available and have references.

I'm passionate about children, getting this from my mother! She has been working for the famous ESF kindergarten for 7 years now and is also a huge contributor to popular playgroup company Kindermusik. Through both being her Educational Assistant and helping and watching her plan lessons with professional material, I've learned extensively for my age how to encourage child development skills and how to address children. My greatest experience by far was this summer: babysitting an 18 month old baby girl and her 2 3 year old twin brothers who both have ADHD as well as tutoring the twins in Cantonese and English. Sounds exhausting for a teen to spend her summer doing? Not at all, I loved it. :)

Currently I have the most flexible schedule in the world, because I'm waiting to relocate to Australia in April 2012 because my course (I'm starting the studying of child psychology in Queensland, Australia!) and the course doesn't begin until then so I'm tied down in HK for now.

Message me back and I'd be more than willing to share personal contact information with you!

Good luck with your beautiful new baby!

charade is offline Registered User

Brisbanegirl, you should start a new thread with your post. I've read a couple of threads where people were looking for a babysitter for a couple of hours and they might be interested in contacting you but might not notice this post.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123