Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Ex-helper borrowed money from loan companies

putput is offline Registered User

Ex-helper borrowed money from loan companies

Our ex-helper, a compulsive liar, has borrowed thousands of dollars from loan companies. We had to terminate her contract as we were getting abusive calls from the companies demanding payment. Now we've changed our number, we are getting letters addressed to my husband which is very upsetting. Another helper in our block advised us that somebody tried to come up to our flat while we were out, demanding to see our helper who owed them money too.

We have advised immigration and yet have just found out, through the other helper, that our ex-helper has found another job nearby. I really do feel for the family who is about to take her on as we were getting calls throughout the night; and am also frustrated that this woman owes so much money and will only come here and take more.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Gemma is offline Registered User
    What an awful situation! If you or your husband have not signed anything or acted as a guarantor then you are not liable for any of your ex-helpers debt. I would have thought this would amount to harassment. Would the police have any advice on this? Unfortunately there is very little you can do to help the new family, unless you decide to dob your ex-helper in. Hope this all resolves for you soon!

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    What exactly is DOB?

What you can and should do is to let the lending company know that the person does not live there anymore and to stop bothering you. If they continue, report them to the police. It will stop quickly.

You also have the option of letting the lending company know the new address of the person in question. Whether you do that or not depends on your version of morality and your sense of right vs wrong.

rani is offline Administrator
    Our previous helper also borrowed money. The collection agency asked me to fax them the letter from immigration acknowledging her contract had been terminated. They will then chase her/family in the Philippines.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Gemma is offline Registered User
    Sorry - my Aussie slang getting the better of me. Dobbing someone in - pretty much sums up your final paragraph hc :)
    howardcoombs likes this.

elle is offline Registered User
    As Rani notes above, tell them that your helper has been terminated and ask for an address and fax number to send them the immigration letter. If you get a single call after that, make a harrassment complaint to the police. If they come to your home, call the police straight away. Our neighbor had a similar thing happen, the collection agent came through our security by telling the guard he was there for repairs or something and he tried to barge into our neighbor's house. She shouted and my husband went next door to help her get the guy out (he was trying to look for the helper INSIDE her home) while I called the police. He was arrested and as he shoved her aside to get into the door he was charged with assault or something. Anyway, point is that these collection guys can be very aggressive and borderline dangerous so while your situation is unfortunate, be prepared to protect yourself and be proactive in stopping them from harassing you.
    2010-NewDad and thanka2 like this.

crystal88 is offline Registered User
    Same thing happened to me, phone calls and letters, like what Rani said, they will ask for proof that the helper was no longer there and everything will stop........Rani, i don't think though that they go thru the hassle of chasing the helper in the Phils. One helper told me it happened to her, she owed money, terminated but no one chased her, so she was lucky to get money she didn't work for.

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal88 View Post
    Same thing happened to me, phone calls and letters, like what Rani said, they will ask for proof that the helper was no longer there and everything will stop........Rani, i don't think though that they go thru the hassle of chasing the helper in the Phils. One helper told me it happened to her, she owed money, terminated but no one chased her, so she was lucky to get money she didn't work for.
    Yes some will chase in the Philippines. I guess it depends on how much is outstanding.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast