Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Gina Ford Routine

mavislohsp is offline Registered User

Gina Ford Routine

Hi Moms & Dads,

I have tried to implement Gina Ford's routine. So fare i have no issue on the morning nap. However, it seems to have something wrong on the noon nap.
    My baby is 4 months old now, he normally sleep 45mins to 1 hour for the morning nap, wake up between 10 to 10.30 am. When I tried to let him sleep his afternoon nap at around 12-12.30noon, he will not settle himself within half an hour, he would play in his cot, afterwards he would cry. This normally will carried on for about an hour or one and a half hour, then he sleep by himself.

I wonder which part has gone wrong. I have tried settle him within and after 2 hours after he last wake up, but both didn't work. Can anyone enlighten me please? Thanks!

carang is offline Registered User
    why not listen to your baby's cues instead of following someone else's routine? i HATE gina ford, for that very reason. i know it works for some, but for many it just doesn't.

the best thing you can do is get to know your own baby's cues for sleep/eating etc. then make your own routine that works for the two of you. besides, most of the time, once you figure it out, baby has gone and grown and his needs change anyway.
    miran, TNT and Lali07 like this.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    from my experience - if you listen to your baby, you will find out that your baby will fall more or less into the routine that Gina Ford suggests...give or take 1 hour here and there...and least that is what happened for my first two kids. instead of 7pm-7am, my kids were 8pm to 8am with a very similar nap schedule (though not 100% perfect) to the one suggested and all i was doing was following my baby's cues. take it as a reference and you will have less stress - adjust and adapt it to your own baby and you will find it very useful. good luck!
    miran likes this.

miran is offline Registered User
    i detest Gina Ford too... to think that one routine would fit all babies and to force caregivers to follow it by second is silly. listen to your baby - they usually have a routine of their own and would be much more comfortable with that. also would suggest not to hardcode it... follow an easy pattern. your baby would have different moods and needs every day.

routines if not hard coded help a lot and babies thrive if they have one. do listen to your baby - they are much more intelligent than gina ford gives them credit . all the best !
    TNT and Lali07 like this.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    i think you either hate GF or love her. We followed her schedule loosely for our second son who is now 10 months. If your child's nap doesn't quite fit into her schedule, don't worry about it. Like those mentioned above, follow your child's cues and he/she will be a happy little baby!

I guess I shall do as what suggested above, follow her schedule loosely and listen to my baby's cue. Thank you so much for the advices!

Zergmei is offline Registered User
    i will suggest feeding a heavy lunch before the noon nap. your baby will be a lot sleepier trying to digest the food:)

I have problems feeding him too. He is very playful and keep pulling out from my breast, he often drink for about 15 mins then started to doze off on my breast and no matter how I tried to wake him up, he might just wake up for a little while then fall asleep again. I was thinking that since he has sleep, I shall put him back to his cot and let him continue to sleep. However, he might sleep for 10 mins and start crying hysterically. I tried pick him up again and offer him milk, he will suck and straight away doze off on my breast again. I tried offer him formula, he then refused. I tried left him cry in his cot, he will continued to cry for more than an hour then fall back to sleep. I really clueless on what to do. Moms out there, any advise? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast