Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Good experience at Baptist Hospital

Gracey is offline Registered User

Good experience at Baptist Hospital

I gave birth to a little girl late last week!
    I know there were some negative posts here earlier about Baptist Hospital, but I was very happy with the way things went. I did get a private room, which made a big difference.
    My doctor stuck well to my birth plan to give me as natural a birth as possible, even though I was almost ready to give up at one point. I had a very long early labor, which I know is a pain for doctors, but mine kept popping by and checking on me for almost two days. He was positive and encouraging. I was encouraged to eat, drink and move around.
    I was consulted on every decision along the way, including one to induce labor in the end.
    The anesthesioligst was also excellent and very communicative on what I wanted and didn't want. Since induced labors are faster and more painful, we used a mild epidural that took the edge off the pain. But I felt every contraction (I wanted to) and could move my legs and feet the whole time, which made the pushing faster.
    The support staff were great too. They came by a little too often to change my garbage, take my temperature, etc. But who's going to complain about too much service?
    Because I had a private room, baby could be wheeled in for feedings whenever I wanted, or even room in. (I didn't do this because I was exhausted).
    I felt they were pretty pro-breast-feeding. Maybe their policies wouldn't please real purists, but I was happy. I was encouraged to breastfeed, but they also topped up with formula in the nursery, since Baby was small, a bit early, and hungry! This seems to have had no bad effect, as my milk came in well and baby breast-feeds with no problem now.
    The only downside was that it was extremely expensive -- all your costs double when you opt for a private room.
    And also, Baby had to go back to hospital for jaundice. But I am very happy. :)

taysty is offline Registered User
    Congratulations Gracey! :)

missidealiste is offline Registered User
    Congrats! Good job ;) I'm happy for you : P

Thanks everyone! If there are any newly expectant mothers considering this hospital, I recommend Dr. Jimmy Mak. You can PM me with questions.

catan is offline Registered User
    Congratulations!!! :)

Thanks everyone!

ninimo is offline Registered User
    hey congrats Gracey to your and yr little girl!sorrie i am v late. i havent logged in for ages!

Dr Jimmy mak is v good.. i also had him deliever by baby boy back in june 2011!

charade is offline Registered User
    Good to hear about more positive experiences at Baptist and with Dr. Mak. I was worried after the incident reported in the press and am now undecided between Baptist and going public again. Only a couple of months to go so need to decide fast!