Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Sharing - Too many activities?

OX Jess is offline Registered User

Sharing - Too many activities?

Hello, I'd like to have some views from other parents:

My son is 2 and has just started his pre-nursey class (Mon ~ Fri, 3 hours in the morning) three weeks ago. Children in the class experience music, art work, story-telling, group-play, gross & fine motor skills, etc.

However, I can't stop thinking about enrolling him to other activities/playgroups on Sat/Sun. I haven't done it yet although I keep searching, as one side of my brain says, "5 days' morning class is enough for his general development so leave the Sat & Sun for family time"; but on the side of my brain says, "no no, he should do more, like joining some sports, taking up more art / music actvities, rather than being idle at home."

Actually, we are not really being idle at home on Sat & Sun, as we have a DIY toddlers get-together every Sat, in which my son meets a group of his friends of similar age to play for an hour. On Sun, my hubby and I normally take my son out to park/beach/somewhere spacious for him to run around.

Sometimes I think I am just being pathetic with thought of enrolling my son to this and that... and I should just take it easy and believe a 5-morning pre-nursery class is quite enough until he is probably 4-5 ?!? Do your kid, apart from attending nursery, also attend other activities at this young age?

carang is offline Registered User
    OXJess: here is a poem for you:
    You say that you love your children,
    And are concerned that they learn today,
    As am I, that's why I'm providing
    A variety of kinds of play.
    You are asking what's the value
    Of having your children play?
    Your daughter's creating a tower,
    She may be a builder someday.

You're asking me the value
    Of blocks and sand and clay.
    Your children are solving problems,
    They will use that skill every day.

You're saying that you don't want your son
    To play in that sissy way.
    He's learning to cuddle a doll,
    He may be a father someday.

You're questioning the interest centers,
    They just look like useless play.
    Your children are making choices,
    They'll be on their own someday.

You're worried your children aren't learning
    And later they'll have to pay.
    They're learning a pattern for learning,
    For they'll be learners always.

another one:

When I am building in the block room, please don't say I'm "just playing". For you see, I'm learning as I play, about balance and shapes. Who knows, I may be an architect someday.

When I'm getting all dressed up, setting the table, caring for the babies, don't get the idea I'm "just playing". For, you see, I'm learning as I play; I may be a mother or a father someday.

When you see me up to my elbows in paint or standing at an easel, or molding and shaping clay, please don't let me hear you say, "He is just playing". For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm expressing myself and being creative. I may be an artist or an inventor someday.

When you see me sitting in a chair "reading" to an imaginary audience, please don't laugh and think I'm "just playing". For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I may be a teacher someday.

When you see me combing the bushes for bugs, or packing my pockets with choice things I find, don't pass it off as "just play". For you see, I'm learning as I play. I may be a scientist someday.

When you see me engrossed in a puzzle or some "plaything" at my school, please don't feel the time is wasted in "play". For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm learning to solve problems and concentrate. I may be in business someday.

When you see me cooking or tasting foods, please don't think that because I enjoy it, it is "just play". I'm learning to follow direction and see differences. I may be a cook someday.

When you see me learning to skip, hop, run and move my body, please don't say I'm "just playing". For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm learning how my body works. I may be a doctor, nurse or athlete someday.

When you ask me what I've done at school today, and I say, "I just played", please don't misunderstand me. For you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm learning to enjoy and be successful in my work. I'm preparing for tomorrow. Today, I am a child and my work is play.
    shwetakhanna and banane76 like this.

as you know, i am a playgroup owner/leader/teacher. first off, i would say: do what feels right for your family. secondly: your child is TWO years old! he doesn't NEED to be entertained 24/7. he DOES need quality family time with you and your husband.

it is really up to you, but maybe you might want to look at putting him into ONE or TWO classes per week and see which ones he likes.... then decide.

children all over the world are so over-scheduled now, they don't get any time to play and be children. i think it is really very sad indeed.
    Gataloca and TNT like this.

OX Jess is offline Registered User
    Can't thank you enough Carang.. I think I know what I should do... Yes, I agree, Children all over the world are so over-scheduled and they are growing up too fast... Thanks.

erina320 is offline Registered User
    Frankly, I think 5 days a week playgroup at 2 years old is already to much.

Let them be babies. Love them, play with them, spend time with them because soon enough the pressures of the world will take them from you in more ways than one!
    TNT likes this.

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    Let Children be Children. Personally I agree 5 days a week for a 2 year old is too much.

Here is a recent NY Times article on the subject.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/13/yo...pagewanted=all

...“It’s easy to take a look at the more successful kids and assume that all the activities are why they are more successful,” Professor Caplan said. But research doesn’t bear that out.

On a recent National Public Radio program, Steven D. Levitt, a professor of economics at the University of Chicago, said he and another economist could find no evidence that that sort of parental choices could be correlated at all with academic success.

“And my guess is,” he went on, “that when it comes to the happiness of kids, that kind of cramming has got to be negatively correlated. Being rushed from one event to the other is just not the way most kids want to live their lives, at least not my kid.” Professor Levitt was also co-author of the New York Times blog Freakonomics....

Raising kids is a marathon, not a sprint.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    My daughter has just turned two and has not yet been attending any classes. She goes to the play room where she has friends she plays with, she also plays with her brother, father and I.

I may enrole her in playgroup one or two afternoons a week after christmas to get her used to being in a classroom environment before she starts nursery next september, but i have not thought that far ahead yet!

At home with me she is currently mastering the art of hand painting, playdough, dress up (which can hamper my attempts to iron as she ends up wearing her whole wardrobe!), story telling and singing. She knows all the usual nursery rhymes but her favourite song to sing at the moment is "baby" by Justin beiber!

I wouldn't be too stressed about trying to fill in every waking hour with "scheduled activities" because it is equally important that they learn to entertain themselves and to spend time with family and friends.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast