Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Pregnancy X Green Tea

OX Jess is offline Registered User

Pregnancy X Green Tea

Hi ladies, I am at 20 weeks with my 2nd baby. With my first I was very disciplined with my diet (no cold drinks, no tea, no coffee, no shell seafood, no alcohol, etc.) just to make sure my baby was kept well inside me. And I didn't experience any bad nausea with my first so I could eat pretty 'normally'.

However, with my 2nd, I throw up a lot, and from 5pm onward every day I feel my gastric juice is going to gush out of my throat, which makes me feel really bad. In order to prevent feeling nausea I had to eat some junk food (instand noodle, McDs, etc.), and the worst is I couldnt' drink any water at all or I would throw up immediately. Therefore I have to drink something with "taste". I am always a TEA lover so I have been drinking 'green tea' (diluted with lot of water, just to give some taste) since I was at 8 weeks. I thought it is fine to drink 'pale tea'. Shocking thing is when yesterday I casually searched on the internet and found out pregnant woman who drink green tea will subject their baby to high risk of "Neural tube defects (NTDs)", as the substance in Green Tea prevents you absorb folic acid, which directly affect the brain and neural system. I was soooooo terrified now!!!

Anyone can tell me you have also drank tea but your baby turned out perfectly FINE, to ease my mind?

tomogotchi is offline Registered User
    Don't worry. I drank lots of green tea during my first pregnancy, and my first son is perfectly fine and healthy (I'm drinking it during my current pregnancy). Japanese pregnant women often drink green tea (and sushi in fact), and they give birth to healthy babies.

OX Jess is offline Registered User
    Thanks tomogotchi for your assurance....
    I am having my 2D scan next Tuesday and I hope everything will be fine... :))

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I drank tea (not green tea though as I don't like it!) a lot during both of my pregnancies and both children turned out just fine! I also drank fizzy cold drinks and ate the occasional McDonalds!

Here is a link that says green tea is OK in moderation.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnanc...reenteaexpert/
    Last edited by AmyH; 08-25-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    I had tea every morning and evening during my two pregnancies, and my kids are really fine ! If you get really bad acid reflux, don't wait until it's unbearable, I have been sick for my two pregnancies, vomiting acid even during the night and loosing weight, even though I was careful about all I ate (couldn't really ate anything at the end !!), and really wished I went to see my ob sooner to get the right medicines !

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    With my first pregnancy, I didn't let a drop of caffeine into my body--no tea, no coffee, no chocolate. With my second pregnancy I wasn't as worried. I had a few coffees, I had some black tea and I had regular green tea and no problems with my daughter's health. She's 5-months-old now.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

petit_etoile is offline Registered User

thanks!!

it's good to know that it's okay to drink a cup or two....since i did drink a few bottles around conception time! thanks so much for the link in babycentre!

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    OxJess... Congratulations! You should join us for our working lunches if you are still near IFC!

First bub, I was uber careful and I couldn't eat anyway. Second bub, the only way I thrived was by eating Maccas for breakfast or Maxims breakfast! LOL! This meant I had a daily dose of Iced Milk Tea! And you know how strong they are!

Both kids are fine. Neither is a genius... maybe if I didn't drink they would have been hey! But I like they the way they are!

Good Luck with the rest of your pregnancy!
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love