Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Eczema / dry skin home solutions?

trttrt is offline Registered User
    Thanks for sharing! Will take a look soon.. Can I know what's the price for that? Thanks..:)

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by supermother View Post
    Recommend you to proceed the skin prick test.
    Allergist, Dr. Adria Wu in Prince Building
    1. Dr Adrian Wu + skin prick test is expensive.... I took my baby there, and it cost around 3K
    2. A note about Skin prick test:

"It is also important to understand that food intolerance (delayed or 'hidden' food allergy) does not show up using this method, and will usually only show up by the use of an elimination diet. Such 'false negative' results to skin prick tests probably occur because the reaction to the food being tested is either not an allergy at all (for example a toxic effect or an enzyme deficiency as in lactose intolerance) or it is an allergy, but one that works in a way that, as yet, we do not fully understand." (http://www.allergyclinic.co.uk/tests_skin.htm)

Hey all, just an update that we got the diamond spa for our child. Too bad, it doesn't seem to do a thing for us so it was very disappointing. We ordered repcillin crocodile oil too but didn't work as well. In fact she just had a major flare up and is now having very red and itchy bumps on the skin. Pity, cos I was looking forward to seeing her skin improve after reading so many rave reviews. Seems like it worked for everyone except my baby. So I have to continue with my quest.
    Like to check if anyone has had much success with any doctors or dermatologists wrt their babies' skin. Preferably someone who will not just send me home with a bunch of steroids and anti-histamine med because we are already very well-stocked with all types! Thanks!

carey is offline Registered User
    thank you for the update trttrt. My 6 month had a flare up on his face last weekend too. It could be the sudden turned dry weather. I've tried lots of things too, but steroid is the only thing that clears it up.

There are quite a few threads here from before on homotherapy or naturalpath for eczema. If you haven't look at it, perhaps it's worth checking it out. From my understanding, the results are mixed.

penelope is offline Registered User
    We saw a new allergist while we were in Europe this summer and my son's eczema after almost 5 years of battle is virtually gone.
    It does include steroid but we used in a different way.This guy calls his approach as a "step ladder":
    Fist of all this doctor advised us to put our son a lot more in direct sunlight.He never had a tan before, always wearing full body protection and hat at the pool ,beach etc. We now put only a factor 20 on.
    The plan goes then like this:

Put pure steroid cream(ELOMET) x2 day onto all the RED areas untill the skin is COMPLETELY normal(it took 10 days for my son)and really RUB it in.
    Moisturise the other areas with diprobase emolient cream(can be delivered to HK from UK) twice a day as well.
    Then you have to start mixing the moisturising cream with the steroid cream only for the areas where you used the steroid on. Moisturise with emolient the rest of body(wash your hands after putting the steroid mix)

1/2 strength elomet x2 a day for 2 days
    1/3 strength elomet x2 a day for 2 days
    1/4 strength elomet x2 a day for 5 days
    then 1/4 strength elomet only once a day for 5 days.

Continue moisturising the rest of the body with the diprobase x2 a day.

We always used elomet before but never reducing the strength of it for such a long time.it took almost a month but now it s been 2 months since we put ANY steroid on.
    I do try to get him in the sun more. We ll see what happens in the winter

Good Luck
    inkmink likes this.

inkmink is offline Registered User
    I have heard good reviews from friends on Dr Sonal from IMI who is a naturopath. I have not seen her myself though. If there is an outbreak, it is incredibly difficult to fight eczema naturally. Only steriods works.

Not sure if you are still breastfeeding, if you are, you may want to consider your own diet as well as your child. Personally, I feel you need to tackle the 3 parts simultaneously - internal (food intake including mother's if breast feeding), external (moisturising - best product that work best to trap moisture in skin, usage of non SLS products) and foreign (what trigger it including dust, water, environment eg. Pets).

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by penelope View Post
    We saw a new allergist while we were in Europe this summer and my son's eczema after almost 5 years of battle is virtually gone.
    It does include steroid but we used in a different way.This guy calls his approach as a "step ladder":
    Fist of all this doctor advised us to put our son a lot more in direct sunlight.He never had a tan before, always wearing full body protection and hat at the pool ,beach etc. We now put only a factor 20 on.
    The plan goes then like this:

Put pure steroid cream(ELOMET) x2 day onto all the RED areas untill the skin is COMPLETELY normal(it took 10 days for my son)and really RUB it in.
    Moisturise the other areas with diprobase emolient cream(can be delivered to HK from UK) twice a day as well.
    Then you have to start mixing the moisturising cream with the steroid cream only for the areas where you used the steroid on. Moisturise with emolient the rest of body(wash your hands after putting the steroid mix)

1/2 strength elomet x2 a day for 2 days
    1/3 strength elomet x2 a day for 2 days
    1/4 strength elomet x2 a day for 5 days
    then 1/4 strength elomet only once a day for 5 days.

Continue moisturising the rest of the body with the diprobase x2 a day.

We always used elomet before but never reducing the strength of it for such a long time.it took almost a month but now it s been 2 months since we put ANY steroid on.
    I do try to get him in the sun more. We ll see what happens in the winter

Good Luck
    One of the pediatrician gave us a similar treatment with Elomet, but just once a day. And instead, we use Aqueous Cream to dilute the Elomet. We start using the Elomet at a ratio of 1:1, then 1:2, then 1:3, till we reach 1:10, and then stop the steroid. If somehow the skin flare up again, we would go back at 1:5 or 1:6, depending on how bad the skin is.

I see.. Thank you all for your advice. Will prob give it a try and see how things go. I think Diprobase appears to be similar to aqueous..
    My kid was seeing some decent improvements after I changed her from physiogel AI( it was as if she was getting immune to it and her skin was never getting much better. Just under control but still not clear) to melaleuca renew lotion. But I was a tad greedy and was hoping it could get better so I sealed it in with repcillin, that was when the flare up occurred. Maybe it's just a case of bad mix..
    Not sure if any of you guys encountered this with your kids... With the melaleuca renew lotion and virgin coconut oil, my kid showed good improvements to her skin. However, after a few days of nice skin, her skin would suddenly turn crusty and start peeling off and shedding), revealing smooth skin beneath.. But this process seems to be extremely itchy and often results in my child scratching very hard( sometimes till it bleeds when I look away)..
    Then, it will be fine again and after a few days, skin will start shedding again. I actually persisted with virgin coconut oil for more than half a year till I felt it wasn't going anywhere with the shedding and renewing... Hope to hear fr fellow eczema-fighting moms!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast