Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Eczema / dry skin home solutions?

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Eczema / dry skin home solutions?

Hi, over the past couple of days my 9 month old has started to develop a rash around his mouth. Originally I thought it was caused by drooling a lot from teething, but it is looking increasingly like eczema.

I have his 9 month appointment with his paediatrician on Tuesday so was just going to address it then - as I don't think it is bothering him that much - but is there anything I can put on it in the meantime? I was putting on Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream as this is very good for dry skin, but I was reading that you shouldn't put anything 'vaseliny' on eczema. Is this true? How about normal moisturizer or non-comodogenic moisturizer?

evgreen is offline Registered User

Try calendula cream which is natural and hypoallergenic. I use one from California baby but I believe weleda makes one too.

Here's the link http://usa.weleda.com/our-products/shop/calendula-baby-cream.aspx

I've seen it at bumps to babes

Last edited by evgreen; 08-25-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Papaya is offline Registered User

You could also try Olive oil or Coconut oil if you are looking for something easier to get. Creams and oils are not likely to remove it, but it should be better with moisterisor than without. There is a lot of conflicting information about Exzema out there. For us Calendula was good for when it was mild, and sheer butter when it was worst.

rebekah is offline Registered User

vaseline is actually highly recommended by a lot of dermatologists... physiogel AI lotion/cream are good for maintenance but not as much for getting the problem under control. Facial eczema is one of the hardest because you don't want to use much/any cortisones on the facial skin, but with time you and your ped can get it under control.

Gataloca is offline Registered User

The problem with eczema is that, what works for some, might not work for you. so you really have to try and see what will work for your baby.

I have nearly tried everything for my baby: AI Cream, QV, Cetaphil, Vaseline, Eucerin, Calendula cream (Earth's Best), Aqueous cream, olive oil, coconut oil. What I like the best are coconut oil and olive oil, cause they are natural and are easily absorbed by the skin, which allow my baby skin to "breath". Needless to say, none of the cream removed the condition, but at least kept the skin moist. Only steroid worked for us once there was any breakout.

recurring likes this.

AudreysMom is offline Registered User

I've had good results with California baby super sensitive skin lotion and super sensitive bath and body wash.

trttrt is offline Registered User

My child has terrible eczema, and we have tried it all.. California baby,ceraphil,qv,dermaveen,aveeno baby,earths best,virgin coconut oil,etc.. Currently she is using physiogel AI cream and it's keeping it moisturized with occasional flareups, which most dermatologists say is impossible to prevent. The water is hk seems to be making it much worse though.it's really tough with a child with eczema. She is up in the night scratching or crying.. But keep trying to find out what can help! It's been two years and countless visits to dermatologists and we still have not found any cures..

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by trttrt View Post
    My child has terrible eczema, and we have tried it all.. California baby,ceraphil,qv,dermaveen,aveeno baby,earths best,virgin coconut oil,etc.. Currently she is using physiogel AI cream and it's keeping it moisturized with occasional flareups, which most dermatologists say is impossible to prevent. The water is hk seems to be making it much worse though.it's really tough with a child with eczema. She is up in the night scratching or crying.. But keep trying to find out what can help! It's been two years and countless visits to dermatologists and we still have not found any cures..
    trttrt, have your baby done any allergy test?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast