Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breastfed baby with green poop!

catan is offline Registered User

Breastfed baby with green poop!

My 10-week old baby's poop has been green in the past week. No other issues that I can see-- she's gaining weight, sleeps well, nurses fine, hardly cries, so I'm not sure whether I should be concerned? She nurses on demand every 2-3 hours in the day, 4-5 hours at night, and has 5-6 good-sized poops a day.

I read about green poops resulting from foremilk/hindmilk imbalance and have switched to block nursing (4-6 hours only on one side) the past couple days. Her poop is less green but still green.

Any insights would be very helpful!!!!

miran is offline Registered User
    Hi cantan,

this is very normal and common for exclusively breastfed babies. mine had green poop for a couple of months :)

Jzlyn is offline Registered User
    So long as she is nursing fine and generally happy, healthy, don't worry about it.

nino is offline Registered User
    My daughter experienced the same thing. I was told by my pediatrician that it was something I was eating - not sure if that was the cause or not (and I later switched doctors due to lack of confidence), but it returned to normal eventually and everything was fine. I don't blame you for your worry though - if I remember it was REALLY green!

erina320 is offline Registered User
    I have also heard it is a foremilk/ hindmilk issue. I wouldn't worry about it to much though these things have a way of sorting themselves out. Your supply is probably gearing up for a growth spurt where your baby will naturally begin feeding more.

Hi miran!

Did your baby's poop eventually return to yellow color? Or does it just stay greenish?

Quote Originally Posted by miran View Post
    Hi cantan,

this is very normal and common for exclusively breastfed babies. mine had green poop for a couple of months :)

I thought about that too but my diet was consistent during the poop color change. She is fine, mostly people around me who have experience with babies say green poop means tummy problems...

Quote Originally Posted by nino View Post
    My daughter experienced the same thing. I was told by my pediatrician that it was something I was eating - not sure if that was the cause or not (and I later switched doctors due to lack of confidence), but it returned to normal eventually and everything was fine. I don't blame you for your worry though - if I remember it was REALLY green!

Thanks erina320! This is comforting to know!

Quote Originally Posted by erina320 View Post
    I have also heard it is a foremilk/ hindmilk issue. I wouldn't worry about it to much though these things have a way of sorting themselves out. Your supply is probably gearing up for a growth spurt where your baby will naturally begin feeding more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast