Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lazy helper

PNatik is offline Registered User

Lazy helper

Dear moms! I hope to get your advice what to do in my situation. I live in HK over 6 years. Now I have three kids, as I stay at home mom, I take care of them full time, also I BF 100% my youngest. My helper only do the house work, very basic cooking(she's really bad at this, I spend more than 6 month to teach her very basic), she does everything slipshod. Even I always ask her to clean her room, it's always dusty. She's so lazy, that she stay ay home every Sun, hang on the phone whole day. I tried to treat her with money, raised her salary a little and promised more if she does her best. She also damage our stuff: kettle, fan, iron, furniture, vacuum cleaner. I know, I could terminate her, but I am not sure, that new one would be better, I heard the same info from my friends about their helpers. Does anybody have a great helper, if yes, how did you find them, and how much do you pay?

carang is offline Registered User
    i think you know what you should do... how can your possible new helper be worse?

you go to an agency on a sunday and then you can interview dozens in just a couple of hours.

Of course, I could do that, and everybody knows how to interview helpers,but at the moment, my baby hang on me all the time, my husband can go for a walk with him for one hour, a have to breast feed quite often, it's not enough time to have an interview, so I want to persuade her to do her job better, how can I do that? I ask if anybody know the way, how to control and train your helper, or it comes from the personality?

crystal88 is offline Registered User
    My opinion, it's her personality, if she's like that, you can't do anything anymore, if she's more than 6 months and still the same, terminate her BUT get a new one first so you won't be alone without help. Go ask around if they can recommend anyone, if not, call an agency and helper can go to your clubhouse or meet in coffee shop for interview. When i got kids and my priority is for them to take care of them, i let the helper come to our house on a Sunday and let her read, play with kids, so i would know if she has rapport or patience with them. Pay them $100 for half day or whatever time you want. Do this only if you have found someone who seems qualified.

In my experienced, i prefer finished contract, or terminated with good reasons.........never never get someone direct from Philippines as it will take time for them to learn. My friend got direct hire and helper end up always crying as she missed her family, she terminated her too as she was SO slow.

Good luck to you! It's luck too to find a good helper.

i guess my point was that there is no way you can change her attitude or abilities. hence, you need to find a new helper. you don't need a lot of time.... that was another of my points. you need a couple of hours on a sunday in order to interview.

you can continue to do everything or you can find someone who actually helps you. it's up to you. if you don't want to change it, there is not much anyone else can advise.

good luck!

I just guess how much do you pay to really good helper?

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Any Chinese family with a GREAT/GOOD helper pays minimum wage. I see lots in my neighbourhood which is predominantly Chinese. They ALL get minimum wage - no food allowance either or any other perk AND, they will work around the employer's schedule of holidays.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

we just hired a new helper a couple of months ago. she is getting $4k/month plus $1k/month for food. she is an EXCELLENT cleaner and a fairly good cook (she doesn't know how to cook any western food, so i'm going to teach her). she is getting better with my two "monsters" and is starting to get them under control, which is good, too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast