Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Cost for baby delivery...NON CITIZEN???

Pinksnowdrops is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs View Post
    charges will vary depending on what type of room you stay in. If you stay in a general ward sharing with many people, it can be as little as $100hkd/day. If you choose to stay in a private room (assuming availability) it will cost closer to $3,000+/day. Best thing to do is to contact the hospital authority as advised by carang to find out which hospital you will likely qualify. Then you can get a more accurate breakdown of what your options are and the associated total costs.
    Carang - Hi there - good info and advice, so many questions around pregnancy! However, it's just a wee correction re sections - all hospitals do "elective sections" - for example big baby, pre-eclampsia, bad obstetric history etc - I would think what you mean is an elective section for non medical reasons - cosmetic, fear, convenience and so on. I am a midwife coming over to HK to be with husband and would love to do some non hospital work. So I am really interested in these forums and all of the questions and answers.

Also - the bit about the HK versus US dollars - "Ouch!!" I think it's really important that when answering someone's post, it's done in a way that does not sound like a telling off, it's important people are not put off asking questions - there's enough of that outside of forums. It did pass my mind too - probably as I am in the UK - I associate dollars mainly with the USA, fuzzy logic maybe!
    2010-NewDad likes this.

carang is offline Registered User
    i mean elective as in you CHOOSE to have a c-section... otherwise, it is for medical reasons and not really 'ELECTIVE', is it?

i wasn't telling anyone off... but really, we are in hk so we use hk dollars, otherwise, it would have said USD. (i am from canada, and i associate canada with canadian dollars, usa with us dollars, hk with hong kong dollars, uk with pounds etc)

Pinksnowdrops is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    i mean elective as in you CHOOSE to have a c-section... otherwise, it is for medical reasons and not really 'ELECTIVE', is it?

i wasn't telling anyone off... but really, we are in hk so we use hk dollars, otherwise, it would have said USD. (i am from canada, and i associate canada with canadian dollars, usa with us dollars, hk with hong kong dollars, uk with pounds etc)
    Yes Carang - it is still considered to be "elective" i.e. planned - where medical staff elect to perform it at the optimum time for that particular client, and for medical reasons. C Sections are classed obstetrically as "elective, medical (pet, big baby pre-eclampsia, poor obstetric history", then "elective, non medical - convenience/personal reasons". The other classification is "emergency" - when it is done without any, or little planning, for maternal or fetal reasons and within a very short time period, depending on the severity of the case.
    Sorry to be long winded...

thanks for the clarification. apologies for my mistake... i was only using the terms the way they were explained to me during my two pregnancies/c-sections at a local gov't hospital.

cuppatea is offline Registered User
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but roughly how many days do you need to stay at the hospital for?
    (I'm pregnant yet but researching this stuff early as we've recently been talking more seriously about family planning!)

not a stupid question at all.... generally speaking, the normal stay in hk gov't hospitals is 3 days for vaginal delivery and 5 for a c-section, although for both of mine i was discharged after 3-4 days.
    cuppatea likes this.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Hi Sarah -- You seem a little confused on these answers.
    * You are a HK resident. There are no HK citizens, as HK is not a country.
    * Public is much cheaper, but you cannot choose to have a C-section if it's "just your wish." The public system will make you have a vaginal birth unless there is a medical reason.
    * If you want to choose a C-section just out of personal preference, you will have to go private, which is very expensive.
    I have no idea what doctor you're going to, but prenatal checks should not be HK $1000 unless you're getting an ultrasound at every one.
    To save money, you can always start by getting checks in the public system.
    BTW, if you want an elective C-section at a private hospital, book now. At 5 months along, you're already quite late.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12