Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Cost for baby delivery...NON CITIZEN???

sarah1988 is offline Registered User

Unhappy Cost for baby delivery...NON CITIZEN???

Hello everyone!

My name ist Sarah and I´m 5months pregnant. I moved to HK to join my husband, but I´m not working and I don´t have any insurance at this moment. Since a few months I have got the hk IDcard (dependant visa).My husband has a working Visa. His insurance won´t cover any pregnancy fee for me!

I would like to know how much a c-section delivery in a PUBLIC hospital costs, if you haven´t got any insurance and as non citizen??
    My friend told me it will be very expensive, but doesn´t know the exact fees.

Can you also tell me which hospital has got the lowest fees?
    At this moment I´m very worried, because my pregnancy wasn´t planed, but a surprise!

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

carang is offline Registered User
    if you have a HKID, whether or not you are a "citizen" (there is no such thing, you are either RESIDENT, which you ARE, or you are non-resident).

@ a public hospital, you pay $100/day for a room. baby (once born) pays $50(?) per day.

all of the public hospitals have the same fees.

your friend is talking about PRIVATE hospitals which cost about $100,000 for delivery.

best thing to do is to call the hospital authority, tell them where you live and they will tell you which hospital you should go to.

also, you ARE eligible to use the gov't system for pre-natal checks as well as for baby checks/injections after baby is born.

ps> insurance has NOTHING to do with public hospitals.

elle is offline Registered User
    While delivery fees for HK residents are very reasonable at the public hospitals, you should be aware that you will not be able to have an elective c-section through the public system. If you have had a previous c-section or there is another medical reason for the procedure, then it will be covered through the public system. But if not, the fees associated with a c-section can be quite high.

sarah1988 is offline Registered User
    thank you very much for your answers!:)
    so as I understood with a HK IDcard I am a normal citizan and I can give birth in an public hospital.
    carang you said it will cost 100$ per night for me and 50$ for the baby. are you talking about US$ or HK$?
    and what about the delivery fee...I mean is there no fee for delivery only, without the fee for every night you stay?
    and if I need some medicine or a PDA?

elle theres no medical reason for a c-section but it is my wish. so it would cost a lot, I understand.

what´s the gov´t system. is it like an insurance I should pay for, for all the checks during pregnancy and after my baby is born?
    Now every time I go to the doctor to make a check up and US I pay nearly 1000HK$, which is a lot!
    I live in MongKok.

mrs
    mrs is offline Registered User
    charges will vary depending on what type of room you stay in. If you stay in a general ward sharing with many people, it can be as little as $100hkd/day. If you choose to stay in a private room (assuming availability) it will cost closer to $3,000+/day. Best thing to do is to contact the hospital authority as advised by carang to find out which hospital you will likely qualify. Then you can get a more accurate breakdown of what your options are and the associated total costs.

why would i quote USD? we live in HK, so we use HKD... right?

there is no "delivery" charge at a public hospital. but as elle pointed out, elective c-sections are NOT done in public hospitals. you cannot just "choose" a c-section. there MUST be a medical reason for it. that said, i think hk has one of the highest rates of c-sections in the world, so it doesn't seem difficult to convince the drs that there is a medical need for it.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I second what everyone else has said re cost and c-section for medical reason only... but just wanted to add, the closest hospital to you probably would be Queen Elizabeth in Jordon, I would guess...

and, again, to clarify... you are NOT a citizen but you ARE resident. (hk is not a country, hence cannot have 'citizens'....

they are RESIDENTS of hk and citizens of china. you are only resident.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast