Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Fish congee for baby/ toddler..

trttrt is offline Registered User

Fish congee for baby/ toddler..

Hi! Like to ask if anyone can advise on the types of fish you put in fish congee for
    your babies. I have only got salmon from the park n shop int'l near my place. When I go to the market, I get really intimidated by the different types of fish there. I don't speak any Cantonese so I can't really ask whats good in congee. Wanted to ask too if threadfin( i found it's called Ma Yau in Cantonese) is readily available in hk. It's the type of fish which I used to get for my baby to cook in her congee. I stay in Happy Valley. Any recommendations on where I could head for some fresh fish? For steaming or congee. Thanks so much!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

Biggie is offline Registered User
    Lots of Ma Yau in hk. I use what they called star snapper in parknshop for my baby it is a live fish. I would stick with smaller fish(eg not sword fish) and fish with scale ( eg not that flat fish). I also get grouper sometimes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    Actually some of the sellers in the mkt can speak basic english. I used to go round the stalls and ask basic qns like

"how much is this fish?"
    "can baby eat this?"
    "can u please take out bone?"

in my observation, i always stand behind a bunch of people and listen. Esp behind filipina helpers and observe how they buy. Most times, they communicate in part english part body language. :-)

in reply to ur qn, we give our baby whatever fish we cook for the family. We steam the partthe tail part, cos it has less bones. we've let her try cod, grouper, ma yau, salmon, snappers, promfert, small white baits. We do limit fish 3x a week.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using GeoClicks Mobile

trttrt is offline Registered User
    Thanks to both! Went to the market and I managed to buy a Ma yau! Hehe.. In English n sign language. :) was surprised though cos it's such a small fish here. Back home, it's rather large and you buy it in slabs for the middle cut and the heads are about the salmon's size too. Nonetheless it's yummy and very fresh. So thrilled. Thanks again!