Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

American board certified pediatrician

miran is offline Registered User
    what i found hilarious was that while most of us would have said something like - it would be nice to go to someone who was educated / worked back home because of the familiarity or same concerns or point of veiw etc; the posts here went on about how much "better" US medical system and doctors are.. but ofcourse :)
    howardcoombs likes this.

elle is offline Registered User
    Umm, as I noted before we like him because he follows US protocols for vaccination schedules, and will order and use the US vaccines for us AND we have found him to be highly competent - in stark contrast to MANY HK educated doctors I have come across, PARTICULARLY in private practice (for example, I've been prescribed dangerous drugs during pregnancy, FDA category D, when there were perfectly fine and much safer alternatives. I asked about it and the doctor just kept saying this is fine. Looked it up, went for a second opinion and ended up filing a complaint with the licencing authorities who censured the doc). US doctors just don't do that crap. Also, as I noted Dr. Chiu was familiar with US pediactrics practices. He attends and speaks at pediatrics seminars in the US and we are comfortable with him as he doesn't have that one size fits all, no critical examination or thought (i.e. here are some antibiotics/ other pills) attitude that so many HK doctors I have come across exhibit.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Just because there are some bad HK doctors, which I agree there are, doesn't mean there aren't some excellent ones. Also just because there are some great US doctors doesn't mean there aren't bad ones. I'm a Hong Konger trained in law in the US and I would never say that I am a better lawyer than those trained in HK. Though I know the medical and legal professions are different, I really don't think that it is fair to say the US trained docs are better.
    howardcoombs and miran like this.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by elle View Post
    ...US doctors just don't do that crap....
    I could cite a thousands of cases where US doctors have done unethical or illegal things. What would be the point? There are good ones and bad ones in every profession.

DrChiu is highly competent just like thousands of his fellow colleagues who have graduated from HK universities. Calling HK doctors incompetent, making broad brush statements such as the ones you are making here is irresponsible.
    Next time you visit him, perhaps you can take a moment and repeat to him what you are saying here. I'd love to know his reaction :-)

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I also wouldn't completely put my trust in the FDA as some of the members are in fact special interest for the things they let pass....

AudreysMom is offline Registered User
    I am actually from australia. I lived in Hk, Aus and the us and have seen drs in all 3 countries. I'm simply expressing my personal view that the doctors are more rigorously trained and tend to "play it safe".
    Posted via Mobile Device

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    I'll buy the observation that they play it safe because they are scared of getting sued. Its drilled into them every step of the way.

I dont buy the argument that they are better trained or just plain "better"; I would love to see some evidence in the form of respected journal articles.
    Also, it makes no sense to compare pay packets vs quality. The fact that a US doctor makes a lot more money is a sign of a screwed up health care system and should not be viewed in a positive way.

If you wish to go to a US trained doctor because that is your preference, because you feel better about it, because you like their accent, you love their bedside manner etc etc then by all means, please do. I gave you a link that lists 95% of them.
    OTOH dismissing 3 entire nations medical doctors (HK, UK, OZ) out of hand, just because, is just plain ignorant.

AudreysMom is offline Registered User
    Pigeon wide neck*
    23695074 Koran fruit*

Wing nai Chung rd*

Leighton hill
    Villa rocha*
    Broadview villa*
    Broadwood rd*
    Stickandgo.com

I'm very sorry if I offended you. I'm simply saying I prefer us docs bc I feel (in my personal experience) that Hk docs (most seem to have qualifications in UK) cut corners and will not explain things in detail. *American dic explain and disclose everything to the moon and back. *I like that. *I just feel safer sending my children to an American board certified doc! *That's all! *
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast