Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Diaper Rash

MarisaB is offline Registered User

Diaper Rash

My 7 month old son has had a diaper rash for over a week and it will not go away no matter how much zinc oxide I put on it.
    He is starting new foods but I have been careful to stick with the ones he has adjusted well to in order to ensure that the rash goes away but this has not helped.
    We are still waiting for his first tooth to come in so I thought maybe it was that.
    Any suggestions on how to eliminate the rash?

elle is offline Registered User
    wash your baby's bottom with water using a soft towel or cotton balls/ pads at each diaper change. Make sure he is completely dry (our pediatrician suggested 20 seconds with a blowdryer on low heat/ cool setting) before desitin and re-diapering.

try naps with no diaper on, there are absorbant pads you can put down large enough to cover a crib.

If in a couple more days your baby still has a moderate/ severe rash, or if any fever before I would go see a doctor (or go earlier if you have a bad feeling about it). There can be all kinds of secondary bacterial or yeast infections associated with lingering diaper rash.

good luck.

elle is offline Registered User
    ps. here is a link that i posted on another thread from Seattle Children's Hospital (a respected institution in the US) discussing diaper rash, complications and treatments. http://www.seattlechildrens.org/medi...x/diaper-rash/

our pediatrician sent it to us when baby was young

Thank you Elle. I am usually super diligent about making sure he is really dry before re-diapering but maybe I wasnt diligent enough. I will try your tips. Much appreciated

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    going diaper free is a good idea - if there is no secondary problem, the diaper rash should go away in a few days.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    You should also wash the barrier cream away when you bathe the baby :) an easy way is to apply aqeous cream and it dissolves the barrier cream like magic ... No rubbing needed ...

Thanks guys!
    Was wondering what is a good barrier cream? I brought mine from Canada and am running low.
    Also, where can I get these absorbent pads to put in his cot while he sleeps diaper free?

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Hi Marisa, we use Mustela but there are a lot of other options as well, eg desitin.

For liner, we have the ones they use in the hospital, think it's for adult incontinence (?), bought at the supermarket (got ours at 360 but I am sure you can get it anywhere) :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast