Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Breastfeeding Frequency of 5/6-month-old? Let me hear your experiences...

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Breastfeeding Frequency of 5/6-month-old? Let me hear your experiences...

Curious to know. Other mamas out there, how often did/does your 5/6-month-old breastfeed during the day? How many feeds does he/she require? This is for the mamas who are still exclusively breastfeeding and babies who haven't yet started on solid foods of any sort.

I'm planning to try to rearrange my baby's feeding schedule a bit and I think that she can manage longer times between feeds. She's still taking about 8 feeds/day. At nighttime, I don't mind if she breastfeeds all night as she co-sleeps with us and it isn't any problem for me.

Last night, I was exhausted and fell asleep early and she was still hanging out with our helper. Apparently she fell asleep with the helper and slept from 10 pm until 6:30 am without a feed! Hmmm.... She's done this a few times in the past couple of months so that makes me think that she can manage longer periods between some of her daytime feeds as well.

Just curious to hear some experiences...
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    When my baby was around that age, he was also having around 8 feeds per day. I feed roughly every 3 hours + some cluster feed before bed + midnight feed. I read that when baby were 4 month old, one should be able to feed every 4 hours (Baby Whisperer). But I could never do it... probably I don't produce that much milk, so I had to feed my baby more frequently.

TungBB is offline Registered User
    My baby is 5 months old now. She is also having about 8 feeds per day. About every 3 hours during the day, cluster feed in the evening and one night feed at around 11-12.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Lali07 is offline Registered User
    Hi T2,

As all babies are different, your little one will tell you what is an appropriate time for her. After a usual feed, take note of how long it is before she is asking again. Some babies are happy to wait three hours and have a big feed, others prefer to have more frequent smaller feeds. It also depends somewhat on the mother's milk storage capacity. Even though most mothers can produce the same full milk supply, sometimes a smaller storage capacity means more frequent feeds. Its kind of like going to a diner and ordering a refillable soda! One person may choose a big cup, another may choose a small cup. Both people will still enjoy the same amount of soda, but the one with the smaller cup will have to go back to the drink fountain more often. Its not an indication of milk supply, just size of the container hehe!

My little guy nurses very regularly, the longest stretch at his own choosing would be somewhere around 2.5 hours...

Hope this helps!

Lali :)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    By 6 months, I think my daughter was already down to only 5-6 feeds a day! I was very much "baby-led" though so I didn't schedule it all... and my bottle-fed daughter was definitely on less feeds than my breastfed daughter - just because I hated to offer a bottle unless I was completely sure that she wanted it.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I'm trying to adjust my baby's feeding as well too...I think he's about 8 feeds a day as well...but I think he could go longer at night but half the night we are cosleeping since I fall asleep and end up offering him probably more than he needs so I'm going to try feeding him around midnight again tonight and see how long he can go before his next feed and eventually move midnight to around 10pm. Last night after a midnight feed, he went until 430am. We've been feeding on demand so I'm not really on a schedule and just feed him when he wakes up from his sleeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lali07 View Post
    Hi T2,

As all babies are different, your little one will tell you what is an appropriate time for her. After a usual feed, take note of how long it is before she is asking again. Some babies are happy to wait three hours and have a big feed, others prefer to have more frequent smaller feeds.
    Yep, all babies really are different. This is my second child. My first is almost 4-years-old. I work during the day so I'm not around to feed "on demand" anymore.

Its not an indication of milk supply, just size of the container hehe!
    Yeah, I've been through the milk supply issues and have domperidone I can take if I need to--I was doing that earlier in the summer. I don't think "container size" will be any sort of issue for me either. ;)
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    By 6 months, I think my daughter was already down to only 5-6 feeds a day! I was very much "baby-led" though so I didn't schedule it all... and my bottle-fed daughter was definitely on less feeds than my breastfed daughter - just because I hated to offer a bottle unless I was completely sure that she wanted it.
    Yeah, if I could "nurse on demand" it would be different but as it is I'm having to pump but I really don't think that my daughter needs to have 8 feeds/day. She can eat/drink more in the evenings and less during the day, I think and she'll be fine. It's not a big deal when I'm on holiday and at home all the time or she's with me all the time because breastfeeding isn't any big deal but pumping, yeah, pumping is a pain (in more ways than one!)

Mother of Two

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast