Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Live in vs Live out

Zoska is offline Registered User

Live in vs Live out

Some of our friends have live in helper and would not consider it other way, the other half have a live out DH and say could nit have someone living with them. I just wondering what is your expiriance and pro and con for both.

elle is offline Registered User
    The BIG difference is that, at least for foreign domestic helpers, it is ILLEGAL in almost all circumstances to have them live out (there is a very narrow exception for helpers who have been working with the same employer, where were already living out before the law was changed).

While I'm sure you know plenty of people who do it, if your helper lives out, you are putting her livlihood at risk as she will almost certainly be deported if found out (and it isn't unheard of for other jealous helpers or nosy neighbors/ building staff to report live-out arrangements to the authorities). You are also risking your ability to hire another helper in the future if found out.

Since privacy is a big concern for many people, we have come to an arrangement with our helper where she can do whatever she lives between when she finishes work and 11pm, when I go to bed, whether or not in the house. We prefer her under normal circumstances to be home by 11pm as our dog barks and wakes me if I am asleep and she comes in after that. However, we give her both weekend days completely off and she is welcome to stay with friends at that time (sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't).

You definitely need to be flexible to make a live-in arrangement work, and find the right helper, but many people make the arrangement work fine.

For local helpers, who can legally live out, I have actually never heard of one living in. But, it can be harder to find a local helper who speaks a language other than Cantonese and communication could, if you don't speak Cantonese, be a little difficult. But I know people who have part time local helpers who make it work just fine, with some patience.

Biggie is offline Registered User
    With two little kids both tend to wake up at 6am or before, it's really helpful to have live in helper who can start the day early!
    And when we are on vacation, she are here with our dog.
    Posted via Mobile Device

banane76 is offline Registered User
    We love having a live-in helper. I also have 2 little ones that get up early and my hubby needs to leave pretty early too so it helps to have someone prepare his breakfast and lunch so that I can focus on the little ones. It's also nice to help in the evening since my hubby gets home pretty late and my kids are just about 5 months and 20 months!

carang is offline Registered User
    personally, i think that the affordability of live-in help in hk is one of the best things about living here. we had a helper for 6 years, she moved to canada and hubby and i both worked full-time and "did it all".... after 7 months, i just could not keep up with my 2 businesses and hubby's business... so hired another full-time, live-in and she is a god send. i wonder why we struggled for so long without.....

Zoska is offline Registered User
    I was not aware if it is illigal to have live out helper as so many people does it! Will have to look into it as not sure if we want someone living with us!

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Yes it is indeed illegal, unless approval has been granted by immigration.....

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Just to offer a different point of view, we have a live-out helper and we're very happy with her.
    The contract does stipulate that she must live in the house, but having a live-out helper is a common practice here, esp among overseas or expat families. It IS against the law, but in more than a decade here, I've never heard of anyone getting caught or punished. It is a calculated risk.
    Our helper comes in the morning, does the breakfast dishes, and helps me with housework and the baby during the day. She might do some prep work for dinner, but is gone by evening, so my husband and I can have some alone time. She works 6 days / 45-50 hours a week.
    Some important considerations: She has experience as a live-out helper in HK. She clearly prefers living out. She is mature and independent, and has a church / family support system here,