Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Best place to live in HK if pregnant?

charade is offline Registered User

PS: Sorry, I thought Sally had a toddler and was pregnant. Ignore the part I wrote about having two kids...

Hyda is offline Registered User

I live in North Point. I wouldn't recommend it to you.
    It's ok for a local (like me), but having lived abroad for a long time myself, if I had the money, I would move somewhere else. It's so crowded everywhere you go! I live on Java Road, it's a nightmare from my building to the MTR station - lots of people, plus lots of stalls occupying half the pavement. It's kind of stressful.

I've lived here for nearly two years, so I think I can cope with it after my baby is born. But if I were you, new to HK, having your budget and requirements, I would choose West Kowloon, like some have suggested. It's convenient commuting to Central, clean, and less crowded, and you get your club house with pools etc! Not to mention a nice view if your flat faces the HK island!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Hyda - I'm also in North Point, on Tanner Rd (Island Place) closer to the MTR station and I think it's great. Yes there are lots of people on the streets though - but we have so many awesome little food places and a great street market - it's worth it. People are here because there's stuff to do - if there was no one on the streets, it'd be because there's nothing here for them to come out here for!! I would like a better club house, but at least we have a pool and a kids playground. And significantly more space than if we were paying the same rent in West Kowloon! I've been here for nearly 5 years (in which time we've had two kids), from when we first moved to Hong Kong. We plan on probably moving a little further east to the Taikoo Shing area - but I know we'll miss North Point as well. It's a great place to live :) I'm not local either - I'm Australian. I know quite a few expats who also live here and love it :)

AndreaSB is offline Registered User

I second evgreen on Pok Fu Lam. More space, no crowds and still very close to town.

Hyda is offline Registered User

Hi nicolejoy! You are so right about the food places - they are what we love the most about North Point. Well, and lots of pharmacies so very convenient.
    But if you decide to live here, you have to prepare yourself for the crowds, and be careful when using the stroller as some of the back streets are very narrow.

trttrt is offline Registered User

FYI, I live in happy valley and it falls under the queen mary hospital catchment. ;)

lorraine is offline Registered User

yeah, I think it really depends on your budget and where your other half works.
    I think DB would be great for having a family, but prob not best for emergency use while you are pregnant since you said there are no hospitals there.

But ya, happy valley is great and with hospital nearby (sanitorium) ..its certainly thinkable. Shopping, transport and grocery shops are very convenient. However, air pollution may not be the best out of all the areas.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123