Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best place to live in HK if pregnant?

SallyG is offline Registered User

Best place to live in HK if pregnant?

We have just moved to hong kong 2 weeks ago and I've just discovered I'm pregnant.

We are in serviced apartments in soho temporarily but want to move ASAP as it is noisy and small.

Really at a loss to know where would be best for pregnancy and then with a small baby, any help or advice would be much appreciated.

We have been looking already at Wanchai, Kennedy town, and mid levels (but not sure of all the stairs in mid levels when pregnant are a good idea). We are also considering DB but there is no hospital so is this sensible?

Any suggestions help would be great!

Many thanks.

carang is offline Registered User

of course it is sensible.... you are pregnant, not dying! how do you think women all over hong kong manage? they don't move somewhere simply because they are pregnant.

you need to decide what your priorities are for AFTER the baby comes, not for during your pregnancy. once you know what is important to you, then you can start sorting out where to look.

some ideas to consider:
    1) budget
    2) where does hubby/you work? how long for commuting would you/he be able to put up with?
    3) do you need easy access to the airport for business travel?
    4) do you prefer space over location? or visa versa?
    5) do you want a building with amenities such as pool, kids' playground/playroom?
    6) do you plan on hiring a helper?
    7) do you eat out a lot?
    8) will you use the private healthcare or public healthcare?
    9) are you a naturally outgoing person who wants to meet up many times per week with friends/other expectant mums? or do you prefer peace and quiet and meeting up once per month?
    10) are you looking for a place with a private garden/balcony/rooftop?
    11) would you consider living on a live-aboard boat?
    12) budget?
    13) budget?
    14) budget?

trttrt is offline Registered User

Hi! We just moved to hk too and I am currently pregnant, with a 2 year old toddler in tow. Have explored alot of areas before deciding. Midlevels seems tough with the stairs you are right.. We finally decided on happy valley and couldn't be happier. There are supermarkets, banks, restaurants, coffee joints, a playroom and playground all within walking distance. Causeway bay and wanchai are just a short ride away. There is the tram and buses nearby as well. There is even a library. Give it some thought?

Thanks fir your reply, yes you are right I'm pregnant not dying! It's easy to panic in a new country just two weeks..

My hubby works in central and is prepared to commute up to about 30/40 mins. We have a budget of up to 36k and want to have nice two bedroom room or three bedroom place, with a balcony if possible, but garden not necessary. Would like to have a building with some facilities, pool or gym if living on the island or be near a public pool/gym.

Reasonably social but like time to myself too, hoping to meet friends I can catch up with a couple of times a month.

My hubby is quite keen to stay on hong kong island for the first year we are hear but I am thinking maybe somewhere like DB is better with small baby.

Thanks, we hadn't considered happy valley so I will check it out.

carang is offline Registered User

having lived almost everywhere in my 16 years here (i stopped counting after my 18th move...) i can say that DB is FANTASTIC for babies/young children. each village has a playground area, there is a beach (not great for swimming, but great for playing), club houses with indoor/outdoor pools/indoor play areas/bowling/tennis/squash/tennis/classes etc.

it is 25-ish minutes by comfortable ferry to central (near IFC), that is very rarely late (no traffic jams to worry about!), has quite a few restaurants, a decent supermarket (there is a second supermarket, but i've not been to it), as well, it is VERY easy to meet people!

for a $36k budget, you may struggle to find something up to your standard on hk island and you will get more bang for your buck with DB.

or you could also look at sai kung. with your budget, you'd get 2 floors of a village house (1400') with either a garden or a rooftop & balcony. however, it takes longer to get to central... closer to the 40-50 minutes, especially during rush hour.

Thanks, 25 minutes commute is fine, Sai Kung probably a bit far, we will take a trip out to DB and see what it's like but it sounds great.

Thanks for all the posts - v helpful

Obiwan is offline Registered User

I recommend Kowloon West :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast