Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Best Antenatal Parenting Class?

hkexpat2010 is offline Registered User

Best Antenatal Parenting Class?

Quick poll. Have you guys signed up for or taken a parenting classes yet? If so, which one and would you recommend it?

I haven't signed up for anything yet and am already at 23 weeks! I prefer a more active one as I heard some are just watching PPT presentations...

Would appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    We did the one at Matilda and were happy with it - interactive, small groups and high quality teachers with substantial experience in their specialties.

Nenea is offline Registered User
    I thought the ANnerley class was excellent, the instructors were great.

Think we decided on the natural birthing class route so will skip the general antenatal class like Matilda's (will read up more on the basic topics) and just go for Calmbirth at Mother's Touch. Will let you know how it goes!

Update: I really enjoyed Kathy Kitzis / A Mother's Touch Calmbirth class. It's a bit light on the hard content, but Kathy more than made up for that in the expertise and experiences she shared. I also liked that they had a weekend option and a 5 week class course. In the end, we decided on the 5 week course so we'd have more time to digest the info and ask questions.

In the class, you'll get some directions on breathing and meditation-like exercises. I didn't really like the CD that came with the book, but I recorded Kathy reading the exercises and used those to practice at home.

I found the breathing definitely was important during the natural, unmedicated hours of my delivery as was Kathy's invaluable help as my doula (see "Doula Recommendation" post for details). Overall, I realized the class helped me change my perspective on birth from one of subconscious trepidation/fear to a more positive, even enthusiastic viewpoint about the birth process.

Also, after taking Calmbirth, I didn't feel like I needed another basics class, but I did read up on things in the "What to expect when expecting" book.