Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

6 week old has a cold

lesliefu is offline Registered User

6 week old has a cold

my 6 week old has had a congested nose since yesterday but I haven't taken him to the doc yet cause it's only been a day and he's eating and sleeping well (though he's wheezing). i'm suking out his nose every few hours and have given him otrivin before bed time. is there anything i can do that well help him with his nose? or do you think i should just take him to the doc...i'm also hesitant because the doc will probably tell me to do what i'm doing already - or am i wrong? am i being too lax? any help would be appreciated. thanks! :)

erina320 is offline Registered User
    If he's not running a fever or struggling to breathe I would hold off a few days.

Meanwhile, steamy bathrooms help, saline nose drops, suction, lots of milk/ nursing, lavender oil in some form of steam (humidifier, warm bath) is a natural airway opener. Good luck . Hope everyone u feeling better soon.

erina320 is offline Registered User
    ...oh and propping up the head of his bed to help with nasal drainage.

elle is offline Registered User
    Nasal saline sprays can help clear the nose. Be sure to get it from a pharmacy and that the product you purchase is for infants as others can have additives not suitable for babies or too much spray. Also, keeping baby hydrated helps, so give as much milk as baby will take.

regarding whether to go to the doc, if baby has a fever probably go, if baby stops eating, probably go, if you just feel someing isn't right, probably go, otherwise you're doing the right thing by monitoring baby at home and letting him get some rest.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Hihi agree with the advice above. My baby caught a cold as well, 3 weeks old. Saw the doc and got the usual prescription. Saline spray. Doc says nothing to worry about unless he develops a fever. Also no medication to be given since it's a viral infection. Hang in there .... I am sure he will get better very soon!

appledai is offline Registered User
    My newborn had 2 times cold. If baby eat and sleep well, I think no need to see doctor at the moment as too young for medicine. my baby's cold last long time. later we tried a chinese medicine Bo Ying Compoung. perhaps it worked as I am not very sure. It is a safe chinese medicine and has been for many many years, even for newborn. I do not think your baby need it just more info for your reference.
    I also saw a chinese doctor. she taught me how to massage baby. perhaps it helps. let baby drink some water and rest well which will help for sure.

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by erina320 View Post
    ...oh and propping up the head of his bed to help with nasal drainage.
    Yes, this can help too, as long as baby isn't rolling about yet ( wouldn't think he is at 6weeks). Make sure to put the prop, like a folded towel, under the mattress to raise it just a couple inches on one side of the cot.

There is also a product called "boogie wipes" which are soft moist towels similar to diaper wipes, but with a mild saline solution. They are made for the nose and less irritation than Kleenex and other things used to wipe away mucus. The saline has the added benefit of helping to clean the mucus away. Not sure where to find them in HK, brought ours from the US. Could also use cotton wool moistened with baby saline ( no other additives) to wipe around the outside of the nose to keep that bit clean.

Hope your little one feels better soon.

Gemma is offline Registered User
    It's really distressing to see little ones being sick. I think you are doing all the right things. I find steamy bathrooms really help, and presuming baby is in an air-conditioned room which can get really dry and irritate the nose more, try adding some moisture to it by leaving a bowl of water, or what I've recently done, actually boiling a pot of water on a hot pot plate in the room!

Incidentally I was speaking to a chest doctor the other day. He told me that the commercially available ultrasound vapourisers are actually not good for kids because the mist particles they let out are so small that they can get into the very small airways and trigger off asthma. Also they are also carriers of particles so instead of dust settling on surfaces, they will actually stick to the mist and hand around in the air. When his kid was a baby like yours is now and can't roll around yet, he actually boiled a kettle close to her so she could breathe in the steam, and her chest and breathing cleared up in no time. Need close supervision of course!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast